Pick me out a new head unit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pick me out a new head unit

So I have an ancient (well like 3-4 yr old) Clarion head unit in my car...I love it for three reasons:

1. you can change the display colour
    2. there is a lever to control the sub volume so it's easy to change
    3. it's never given me any trouble playing anything.

I have always loved it but it's old and it's starting to show it. I am thinking it's time for a new one.

The sub control thing is a big deal...i have two 12" Boston G2s that are kind of loud and I need to be able to turn it up and down without having to push eight billion buttons every time.

I would like to be able to make the screen dark orange to match the other light-up aspects of the car but i suppose that isn't super important.

It would be good if it could tilt...i have trouble reading my current display in the daytime because it is so low in the car, the angle is all wrong. Of course it's fine at night.

I don't want some flashy ugly shiny thing. Plain and simple and effective is all I want.

All my friends are pushing for me to get a touchscreen. I haven't seen one yet that I've liked, but if there are any you guys would recommend, I'll take a look anyways.

Also is anyone familiar with the Boston line of subs? I'm wondering what the difference in quality is between the G2s and the G5s...I don't need mine any louder at all, they pound plenty, but I am thinking I'll give the G2s to my boyfriend for his birthday and get myself an upgrade. Just a thought :)
    ...Sam :D

I'm scared of those touch ones screwing up then having to get it fixed. Alpine decks that come to mind are the 9833, 9835, 7894. The first two you can choose from 512 colors for the buttons. The 9835 has a real nice biolite black and white display :).
    Vancouver Portrait Photographer

E30 M3 Wallpapers

Comment

Cd700ii ;)
      Originally posted by Gruelius
      and i do not know what bugg brakes are.

Comment

Originally posted by MikesJo
        I'm scared of those touch ones screwing up then having to get it fixed. Alpine decks that come to mind are the 9833, 9835, 7894. The first two you can choose from 512 colors for the buttons. The 9835 has a real nice biolite black and white display :).
        I agree on the touchscreen thing...they make me nervous, since they are so expensive. I've seen them wear out pretty fast.

I've had those alpine decks suggested to me before, the ones with lots of colours anyways...I will check those out for sure.

Originally posted by kencopperwheat
        Cd700ii ;-)
        That's a Nakamichi right? My mom's benz has one of those...it's a 99 tho so her 6 cd changer just kicked it. Not a bad system though, but man is it old now.

Comment

Hahaha...I have a few Nak pieces...the newest one is a TD500 casette deck from 1986...back when Nak ruled.

Personally, if I wanted to do aftermarket, I would go for a Clarion 9255. Possibly the ugliest deck ever made, but terrific sound.

Every since I got burned out of a $1300 head unit back in 1990, I do not trust Nak.

I want a "Business Class" cd player from an E36 or E46. I will feed that into an AudioControl 6XS crossover and 3 amplifiers. That crossover will give me a subwoofer level control and absolutely amazing sound quality. Far better than virtually ANY aftermarket deck...and believe me, I am far pickier than anyone you have ever met.

Plus, it is fun being able to kick anyones ass in sound with a "stock" deck.

Luke

Closing SOON!
          "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

If you can get a VDO, do so. Well my personal taste is to just get a good stereo with amber lighting to match the interior

-> Afficionados join the M-technic I club

Comment

That Clarion one isn't so bad...At least it's pretty simple.

I've had this one suggested to me...http://www.alpine-usa.com/en/product...model=DVA-9965...Alpine 9965 I think it is. It's hideous but they said it would make my system sound better than with my current deck...but my current deck is OLD, so lots of things would probably sound better. I don't know.

Comment

Originally posted by shiraz
                That Clarion one isn't so bad...At least it's pretty simple.

I've had this one suggested to me...http://www.alpine-usa.com/en/product...model=DVA-9965...Alpine 9965 I think it is. It's hideous but they said it would make my system sound better than with my current deck...but my current deck is OLD, so lots of things would probably sound better. I don't know.
                Sam, my fingers are too big to work that "glide touch" or whatever it is called.

The Alpine decks sound pretty good, Bass Engine Pro allows you to run seperate amps for the tweeters and mids, along with the sub. This is called "Tri-Amping" which is NOT simply having 3 amps, but having dedicated amps for bass, midrange and treble. Easily the most dynamic range, amazing detail and clarity.

Why would you want a DVD player though? That is an assload more money for no real reason, unless you want video. That deck performs absolutely no better that a CDA-9855 on CD.

Please don't go spending a bunch of money on a deck thinking your system will sound better because of it.

Luke
                oh yeah...welcome to R3V.

Closing SOON!
                "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

Nakamichi CD-300 & EQ FTW

Shop Lowest Price on: Nakamichi CD-300 Car MP3 CD Players. In-Dash CD/MP3 Receiver

For sub control, mount this somewhere:

Usually works good in the glove, but there's always room for creativity. :)

Course, there are a few other EQs that are priced lower that you can choose from.

I plan on going with this setup, plus some new speakers, when I have the time and cash.

Comment

i have an alpine 9857... very nice deck... my only gripe is that you cant change the color of the buttons liek every other alpine deck made in the last 5 years... at least the screen is the biolite one
                    e30sport.net
                    '15 Porsche GT3 - 7-speed PDK - Daily Driver
                    '86 325es - s54b32tu - 6-speed - Mtech 1
                    '89 325is - m20b25 - 5-speed - Individual

Comment

got www.sounddomain.com and ask them to 105% price guarantee, any of pioneers decks from some other online place that has them cheaper. it will knock like 40-60 off the price, and you will have a warranty on the deck.

OR you can buy it from our own forum member (stereoinstaller) and he gives you a receipt and everything as well.

Comment

Originally posted by enildeR
                        http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAu...roductID=15580

For sub control, mount this somewhere:
                        http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAu...roductID=10127
                        Usually works good in the glove, but there's always room for creativity. :)

Course, there are a few other EQs that are priced lower that you can choose from.

I plan on going with this setup, plus some new speakers, when I have the time and cash.
                        I like the idea of that but I need to be able to change my sub volume quickly...they are pretty loud and if I have them turned up for a song with not much bass, and then some serious rap thumping song comes on right after, my eardrums explode. And I don't want to drive off the road trying to get into my glovebox to turn the subs down. Though I do really like the idea...Although if I didn't have to change the volume so often, I would probably mount it in the space where my ski bag was, behind the arm rest...my crossovers are in there, I think there would still be room.

But anyways this is the closest picture I can find to my deck, i don't have any of my own... mine doesn't have a cd slot, it flips open, but it has the same sub control thing which is what i want to show you so i can explain it better...

See on the right hand side, between the two coloured buttons that say Z+ and ISR...the silver toggle thing? That is the sub control, it sticks out about a quarter inch and you just push it up or down if you want it louder or quieter. What I'm wondering is if there's anything else out there with a similar sub control, it's my favourite thing about the deck and the only reason I've had it so long.

Thanks for the suggestions guys :D
                        Last edited by shiraz; 06-08-2006, 06:02 PM.

Comment

You can just wire up a switch to flip the remote wire circuit on and off that runs to the sub amp. I installed mine on my center console a bit out of sight over by the passenger seat buckle. Easy to access, and works great. It saves the hassle of fudging around trying to turn the sub down in a pinch.

Pretty much all decks nowadays have some sort of pre-out voltage control (sub level usually), and you won't blow yourself away from bass. There's not that much of a difference between bass tracks. Subs can take quite a bit more abuse than the smaller stuff, as long as you aren't a complete idiot with the volume knob. What's gonna hurt is the equalization or volume of the mid/high freqs if you cruise around with your stereo playing loudly. Save your money and just get a simple deck!
                          I retired my E30 for now...
                          E46 323i
                          David Schultz

Comment

I understand. The EQ has a slider that adjusts the sub level and a button to turn it off completely:

As for the EQ being in the glove, yeah that would get annoying.
                            Here are some ideas I thought about. It's late, so I'm not going to go out and measure anything.

*Not my dash*

1. You could try putting it here. The EQ is 3 1/2"s wide, so a little cutting and it would prolly fit just fine here. I suggest this spot because I only have two buttons there, and they are the leftmost and rightmost slots.

2. You could take the computer out and mount it vertically. You would need some black plastic to close off the rest of the area it would leave open. I don't even use my computer, so it would go here if not in the #1 spot.

3. If neither of the first two ideas work for you, I'm guessing the EQ could be mounted here somehow. The EQ is only 5"s deep, and I can't remember if there is a metal bracket down there or not.

Comment

3 would be ideal imho... i think i am going to put a turbo timer there which should be the same size as the eq and it fits fine... also provides easy wiring as there is no bottom to the dash in that area
                              e30sport.net
                              '15 Porsche GT3 - 7-speed PDK - Daily Driver
                              '86 325es - s54b32tu - 6-speed - Mtech 1
                              '89 325is - m20b25 - 5-speed - Individual

Comment

Working...
                              X