Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Aftermarket Radio Bluetooth - why is it so poor?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Aftermarket Radio Bluetooth - why is it so poor?

Why are aftermarket Bluetooth phone connections so poor?
    Is there anything that can be done to improve them?

The state of NH just required hands-free in all cars, so I will need to update the radio in my E30 to allow for bluetooth. The Alpine HU I have in my E36 has terrible bluetooth - I believe that unit is the CDE-133BT, which is now defunct/no longer offered.

Is buying a more expensive headunit an indication of better bluetooth quality??
    I'd prefer to stay with Alpine...

Thank you,
    -Chris
    Below the radar...

I have a kenwood, that only does phone call BT in my civic. I also have a cheap sony in the E30 that has IMO good BT quality. that also allows me to stream music, which is perfect. Are you talking overall sound quality, options, or just phone call quality?

Comment

I'm speaking specifically to phone call bluetooth quality.
      The bluetooth streaming of music is fine across all the platforms I've used.

I've run a double DIN Kenwood in my '08 Tundra - outbound voice sound quality was adequate at best.
      The Alpine CDE-133BT in my E36 is terrible for outbound sound quality.

The OE Bluetooth in our '15 Tundra sounds like you're in the same room in terms of outbound voice sound quality.

I'm just trying to understand if "bluetooth" technology has drastically improved and that's why the system in the '15 Tundra sounds great vs. the technology that was in the '08 vintage Kenwood or my '12 vintage Alpine HU.
      Below the radar...

Comment

Quality has likely improved, but mic placement is also important. My sony has the mic on the face of the HU. It works, but of course there is a lot of ambient noise. I think quality has improved since 08, that 7yrs ago.

Comment

Working...
        X