Quad fog lights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quad fog lights

Okay so I'm trying to run four fogs instead of two, and was wondering if anybody has any pointers. I have four of the stock early model Bosch fog lights and a two button euro fog light switch.
    Jah bless! :pimp:

Easiest way is to run new wires/relay for the second pair and wire them into the second button on your euro switch. Another way is to splice the second pair into the wires for the existing lights and use the US fog switch so they all come on at once. You would then need to replace the fog light fuses with 10a instead of 7.5a. The wiring is beefy enough to handle it if you are only running 55w bulbs in each light. Any more and you'll fry the wiring harness.

Of course there is the issue of the federal law saying a car can't have more than four headlights/fog lights on at a time.

I would get nice HID's with aftermarket projectors instead of any fogs at all

it's a Kenny Powers quote on wheels

Comment

Thanks! Would running 4x 55w bulbs be any difference in lighting versus the two stockers? I would really like the pairs independent of each other, besides running the wire what would have to be done to add the relay?

Thanks on the heads up about the law, still want the quad fogs. I'm going for something of a rally look. Also in the mix, I'm modifying some early front mud flaps / guards for the rear since I have two sets of fronts.

Comment

Would it be possible to pop another k8 relay in the k9 (euro rear fog) location with a 7.5A fuse in fuse 15 (euro rear fog) location? As long as I copy what the k8 relay does it should work I think.

Comment

Yeah you can add a relay and this guide touches on how to do that. It seems like more trouble than it's worth, with having to open up the fuse box and insert special spade connectors. I would just get a relay and wiring harness and bolt it somewhere on the car and run some new wires.

As far as the brightness of 4 lights vs 2.. any time you add more light it will be brighter. But you wanna think about what kind of light you're getting: a fog light is a very wide, but not very tall pattern. So you're gonna have a ton of light in the very front and to either side of the car, but not as much further down the road. For a rally look, there's a guy on the forum who sells a light bar which mounts in front of your bumper (for plastic bumper cars... for metal bumper I'd just drill a hole in the bumper, lol) so you can run proper driving lights, which throw light further down the road. So it depends what you wanna go for.

I have my high beams set up with yellow hella H4's wired so the low filament will come on with the fog light switch. When I drive with both the standard low beams and these on it is effectively 4x 60w lights, which is noticeably brighter than 2x 60w lights

As far as the right fuse to run.. the way it works is your light draws a certain current, so you need a certain size wire to accommodate the current draw. The fuse is there to protect the wiring in case something shorts out and creates a larger current draw than the wiring can handle. The guide I linked earlier explains this. The stock fogs are set up so the left light has its own 7.5a fuse and the right has its own 7.5a fuse. If you want to run your second set of lights on one fuse, that's perfectly fine, but just make sure you run the right size wire for the current draw the lights will make. 2x55w=110w, and since voltage x current = watts, 110w divided by 12 volts = 9.167a, so you would need to run a 10a fuse to be safe. I would go with 12 gauge wiring. You can search the web for each gauge and type (stranded vs solid) and see what kind of current it can handle but 12 gauge should be fine. 14 gauge may even be enough

I would go the route of: add wires, bolt a relay and 10a fuse somewhere in your engine bay, use a relay wiring harness ($4 at autozone), and run a wire to your euro switch. Nice and easy
          Last edited by Das Delfin; 10-15-2015, 09:12 PM.

it's a Kenny Powers quote on wheels

Comment

Good looking out man, thanks!

Comment

Yeah my pointer would be to take all 4 of those and fly off the nearest cliffside.

Cheers
              88' BMW 325is - Daily

Comment

Working...
              X