Passenger Tail Light Short

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Passenger Tail Light Short

Hey, guys! So Ive been having a stupid issue with my passenger side tailight since i bought my (1990 325i) e30 around a year ago. The previous owner (like a dumbass) decided to ignore the short and try to pass it by jumping a wire in #23 fuse terminals. This fuse gives power to the running lights, right side tailight, all interior lighting, and the license plate lights. So, clearly i havent been able to drive the car. Not too long ago i went to pick n pull and pulled the wire harness that connects under the dash and runs to light switch. The wires on the old one were burned due to the PO jumping the fuse terminals. After that, i was able to track down a light switch that was in good condition. So i installed the wire harness and the new light switch and it seemed to work for around a few hours. I took the car out for a drive and as i was driving i noticed my cluster lights were out, so of course i look at my OBC and sure enough it says "Rear Lights". IIIIMMMM SOOO TIRED OF THIS SHIIIIT....
    Anyways, My interior looks like garbage cause i spent all of this morning pulling up the wiring that runs to rear of the car to hopefully find the culprit. Not shit.
    I traced the tail light wire from the tail light and its in perfect condition.
    This wire goes from the light assembly, to the diode next to the antenna motor. So i pulled out the diode and saw some of that weird brown stuff that looks like syrup but is hard on it so i cleaned the whole thing with a brass brush. I installed the diode back in its place and went from the diode. It comes through the back seat, goes down the side, onto the floor and all the way to dash. Not a single pinched wire. Im at a loss. I did notice that the tail light wire up near the foot pedals eventually connect with two other wire. One runs under the dash and out to the front light assemblies, the other i have not traced yet but will do so when i get the chance. Im going to try to get another wire harness and switch. Tell me what you guys think. This dilemma is getting very frustrating and im starting to think about just selling the car even thought i just rebuilt the m20 and shaved/painted the engine bay. Any advice is IMMENSELY appreciated!! Thanks for your time guys.

pretty engine :D
    Last edited by Yungbimmer; 01-31-2016, 03:53 PM.

Anyone? Ive seen many people go through this issue and yet theres no documentation on how people fixed it. Ugh i love this car but hate it soooooo much.

Comment

You ever get this one figured out?

Comment

Working...
      X