No power to rear window switches

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No power to rear window switches

I've searched and search and can't find my exact issue or the solution.
    I just got a 1990 325i and the rear windows don't work or make click sounds. The front windows and sunroof all work just fine. I pulled the driver switch and put in in the rear spots as a test, nothing. So I got my voltmeter out and found that even though the buttons light up, they have no power going to them to control the windows. I checked to make sure the window lock, child window lock and circuit where all pressed and still nothing. I figured it was the rear child lock out switch so i took it apart and found some burn marks on one of the contacts. I cleaned the contacts and put it back in and still nothing. I did however break the small square rear window lock out in the process, so if anyone has a spare let me know please.

Any way of figuring out why they have no power to control the windows but still light up?
    Last edited by CaffeinatedSoul; 03-08-2016, 07:39 PM.

Update: So I didn't break the child window lock button, but still now power to the rear window switches.

When I test the voltage on the child lock wires (top of pic, just below the cigarette lighter) with positive on the left wire and negative on right wire, I get 0. If I put positive on left wire and ground the negative I get 12v is this normal?
    Attached Files

Comment

So I started messing around with everything and found that the switches do have power. The rear piece the switch fits into looks similar to the front one but they are slightly different. I found only one pin out had 12v to it, and the rest didnt.
      In my case all the switches in the front had power and lit up, but none of the rears worked at all. After messing around with it for a bit I noticed that the rear switches didnt light up at all. After pulling the door panel off, I found that the PO didnt have them hooked up at all. Once I plugged them in, they lit up and worked.

Now I have a new problem Im hoping you guys can help me with. When I roll the rear windows down all the way, some times it gets stuck in the down position. But if I wiggle the cable that moves the window up and down it will free up and roll up again. Any solutions to this issue by chance.

Comment

Working...
      X