The infamous fuse 21 problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Buying a 1988 320i tomorrow and it has an electrical problem. Radio, tach, obc all don't work, you know the typical fuse 21 problem. Anyway, he's already tried changing the fuse, it just pops as soon as he puts it in. He says he's searched the typical areas for shorts except for behind the radio which is the factory one I believe. Anyone have this problem and know possible fixes? Could the SI board cause this? Thanks

I just went through this with my son's 86 325es. Mine turned out to be the reverse switch in the trans had shorted out by getting oil in it. Just pull the shifter boot up and there is a connector with the two wire going into the rubber sealing boot, disconnect the connector. Replace the fuse and all should be good. If that works replace the reverse (back up light) switch and reconnect the connector above.

Comment

Originally posted by M3and2002 View Post
      I just went through this with my son's 86 325es. Mine turned out to be the reverse switch in the trans had shorted out by getting oil in it. Just pull the shifter boot up and there is a connector with the two wire going into the rubber sealing boot, disconnect the connector. Replace the fuse and all should be good. If that works replace the reverse (back up light) switch and reconnect the connector above.
      Where is the switch located? And is this what you are talking about? Post #8

Comment

yes

Had the same problem with my h26. When you pull the shift boot out, you will see the wiring harness. If it touches to metal, you will lose the fuse:)
        jm

Comment

Originally posted by 2002jm View Post
          Had the same problem with my h26. When you pull the shift boot out, you will see the wiring harness. If it touches to metal, you will lose the fuse:)
          jm
          Glad to see that this is such a common cause for it, don't know if the owner checked there yet but I'll check again once I get it

Comment

yes

It is a direct short, if the wires are touching. So every time you turn on the key the fuse will blow:). Makes it sort-of hard to check to see what is happening. Mine did not look too bad, but the wires were pressed against the body and that is all it took to short. pretty easy to rewire.
            jm

Comment

Originally posted by 2002jm View Post
              It is a direct short, if the wires are touching. So every time you turn on the key the fuse will blow:). Makes it sort-of hard to check to see what is happening. Mine did not look too bad, but the wires were pressed against the body and that is all it took to short. pretty easy to rewire.
              jm
              Thanks for the help! Also, did you have battery drain problems because of this?

Comment

had the same exact problem in my '87, as soon as I would put the car in reverse fuse 21 would blow. everyone that posted here is spot on, my reverse switch wires were frayed and contacting the chassis causing a short. I repaired the wiring, problem went away immediately.

good luck.

Comment

**UPDATE**

Got the car today, buddy only checked the wires by the drivers door, will check under shift boot tomorrow!

Comment

good luck man
                    sigpic
                    Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

88 cabrio becoming alpina b6 3.5s transplanted s62
                    92 Mtech 2 cabrio alpinweiss 770 code
                    88 325ix coupe manual lachsilber/cardinal
                    88 325ix coupe manual diamondschwartz/natur
                    87 e30 m3 for parts lachsilber/cardinal(serial number 7)
                    12 135i M sport cabrio grey/black

Comment

**UPDATE (again lol)**

Disconnected the connector under the shift boot, everything works fine with it disconnected, fuse didn't blow. Thanks everyone for the help, if I could buy you all a beer I would!

Comment

Originally posted by KyleDriver View Post
                        had the same exact problem in my '87, as soon as I would put the car in reverse fuse 21 would blow. everyone that posted here is spot on, my reverse switch wires were frayed and contacting the chassis causing a short. I repaired the wiring, problem went away immediately.

good luck.
                        So is it the wire coming out of the rubber hole or a wire that's on the connectors?

Comment

Originally posted by sheldpaugh View Post
                          So is it the wire coming out of the rubber hole or a wire that's on the connectors?
                          Same wire.

Comment

Originally posted by f4tj0n View Post
                            Same wire.
                            Realized that after I tugged on it hahah

Comment

yep

Had the exact same problem and disconnecting the wiring harness under the boot did the trick. I will go back soon and fix the wires:)
                              jm

Comment

Working...
                              X