would this work? Amp + MP3 = no cd player

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

would this work? Amp + MP3 = no cd player

Could I use the 12+ ignition that usually goes to the cd player as a remote turn on wire for a small amp? Then use the 12V power to the cd player as my power to the amp, and then use an mp3 player as the signal input to the amp?
    sigpic

Yes, you can...but be prepared for suckage.

Here's the deal. If you set the gain on the amp high enough for full output, you will not be able to listen quiet. If you set the gain to be able to use the thing with someone else in the car, you won't be able to get loud.

This is caused by an impedance mis-match.

So, go for it, just be prepared.

Luke

Closing SOON!
    "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

Yeah, my miata friends do it for that ultra-lightweight enjoyable audio experience. Hahahaha
      R.I.P 07/01/09 - 04/23/10 :(

Comment

And if you do this, please get a decent mp3 player. What sounds okay over headphones may sound like shit over speakers. My shuffle and m:robe sound like crap in my car, so I just stick to my XM radio (until I get a USB input headunit).

Comment

Originally posted by StereoInstaller1
          If you set the gain on the amp high enough for full output, you will not be able to listen quiet. If you set the gain to be able to use the thing with someone else in the car, you won't be able to get loud.
          Does an MP3 player not have a high enough voltage output? Are you talking about impedence difference between mp3 player and signal input on the amp? Would it be better to use the hi level input or the rca input?
          sigpic

Comment

Most MP3 players have about 4mw output at 10K ohms. This will drive most amps fully, but wont turn down low enough to be quiet.

RCA input, of course. 4mw on an input meant for 5 watts won't be audible, plus the 8 ohm or so input impedance would smoke most MP3 players.

Are you doing this to be cheap or looking for something else? There are other options available. An external volume control and a line amp would work perfectly if you wanted nothing more than MP3 playback without a head unit.

Luke

Closing SOON!
            "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

I think the internal amp on my cd player is messed up. I can put a good set of speakers on it and then they will sound blown after a little while. My fronts don't even work anymore they just make a little static.

I wanted to do it because an external amp sounds better than an internal cd player amp. I don't mind just using the mp3 player. I hardly use the car, and I can deal without am political shows for a little while. I also don't like keeping up with cds in a car that isn't driven much, and when it is, I don't want cds flying around inside.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by StereoInstaller1
                Most MP3 players have about 4mw output at 10K ohms. This will drive most amps fully, but wont turn down low enough to be quiet.

RCA input, of course. 4mw on an input meant for 5 watts won't be audible, plus the 8 ohm or so input impedance would smoke most MP3 players.

Are you doing this to be cheap or looking for something else? There are other options available. An external volume control and a line amp would work perfectly if you wanted nothing more than MP3 playback without a head unit.

Luke
                Luke,

What would you have in mind, see my post about the same thing sorta. I do not want to steal this thread.

Thanks,

Tyler

http://www.europeanplates.com Build and Preview plates
                R3V Discount Code = R3V2012

Comment

Hahaha, I was thinking about doing this exact setup. Running a really good stereo with a friggin iPod shuffle would be so ghetto fab. Just perfect for a POS 325e!
                  I retired my E30 for now...
                  E46 323i
                  David Schultz

Comment

Working...
                  X