Starting from scratch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Starting from scratch

I bought an unmolested 316i, with no stereo. There is no wiring harness, no radio, no speaker cables or nothing.
    I need some advice how to proceed, as I want a clean and good setup.

When I sold my E34, I kept the premium audio speakers, so speakers are covered (only need some tweeters and the ones on the rear deck), I have an all right HU, but not sure how to make it work.

Should I get a hold of an original premium stereo harness or make my own? I've read on this forum that the quality of the original cables are far better than whatever cheap generic cables I would normally buy.

Does anybody have a wiring diagram/pictures?

'91 E30 316i
    '97 Rover Mini 1275

Wow, I wasn't aware that such a thing existed!

Honestly I'd stay away from trying to splice in factory wiring and just add your own dedicated stereo wiring. It will likely be easier, more reliable, and better sounding. Pick whatever headunit you want, run RCA cables to an amplifier, and then out to whatever speakers you decide on.

Comment

Yup, it definately exists :D Its so nice to not have to fix somebody elses hack jobs. Car doesn't have an antenna, or antenna hole either. Not that it matters, I'm only going to use satelite radio anyway, but its nice!

I am not sure where to draw power from though.
      '91 E30 316i
      '97 Rover Mini 1275

Comment

I would add a dedicated circuit for power. Use a fused wire and relay, triggered by the ignition, to send 12V to your headunit. You can pull the power straight from the distribution block in the engine bay and run the wire through the grommet where the engine harness connects to the ECU, inside the glove box. Then run the ground wire out through the same grommet and ground it on the shock tower.

If you plan on having a separate amp, you could use the same circuit for it as well (just make sure it's sized correctly for the amp draw).

Comment

I was planning on having a separate amp. I am split between an under-seat-subwoofer or the Luke box. Kinda want it to sound good but look original, and even though the Luke box looks as if it belongs there its not a factory option.
          But I guess there is also a reason why I don't see anybody putting their subwoofers under the seats.
          I just bought an Überkaro rear seat with armrest, so I guess I'm leaning towards the Luke box even though shipping will kill me.
          '91 E30 316i
          '97 Rover Mini 1275

Comment

Originally posted by EndreM View Post
            I was planning on having a separate amp. I am split between an under-seat-subwoofer or the Luke box. Kinda want it to sound good but look original, and even though the Luke box looks as if it belongs there its not a factory option.
            But I guess there is also a reason why I don't see anybody putting their subwoofers under the seats.
            I just bought an Überkaro rear seat with armrest, so I guess I'm leaning towards the Luke box even though shipping will kill me.
            I think Lukebox includes shipping.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Comment

Domestic yes, but to Norway? I'm guessing it'd be a bit more $ :)

Comment

Originally posted by EndreM View Post
                I've read on this forum that the quality of the original cables are far better than whatever cheap generic cables I would normally buy.
                Don't bother buying one, that thread is geared to cutting corners to get some bass in your car at the lowest cost possible.

You'll do much better doing a traditional stereo install. Head unit with 4 output + sub, a 4 channel amp, and another amp for the sub. Or a 5 channel amp can work as well. Depends on how much weight you want in your trunk. All that gear can add up fast.
                Originally posted by Matt-B
                hey does anyone know anyone who gets upset and makes electronics?

Comment

Working...
                X