Replacement for Stock Speaker Setup?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Replacement for Stock Speaker Setup?

Looking for a direct replacement for the stock speaker setup, including front door tweeters.

I don't want to cut any holes or do any crazy wiring. I just want replacement speakers for all of the stockers, as they are old and dry and crusty from age and exposure to heat 'n' sunlight.

Thanks!

If you are replacing the headunit too, and you have that lovely little fader switch above the radio, you will have to rewire it all :)
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by e30 Groupie
      If you are replacing the headunit too, and you have that lovely little fader switch above the radio, you will have to rewire it all :)
      Explain...?

Is that a version of the I-Bus system?

I am not a highly knowledge stereo-phile. I just know that these paper speakers have seen better days.

Comment

Its a common ground set up. So basically you have to re-wire everything to see any useful differeance.

Sold it.

Comment

Ideally, I want to take the old speakers out, and "plug in" a new set of simple aftermarket speakers. Same w/ the head unit. I don't need big amps or subs or anything else.

Comment

Originally posted by Low Level E30
            Ideally, I want to take the old speakers out, and "plug in" a new set of simple aftermarket speakers. Same w/ the head unit. I don't need big amps or subs or anything else.
            Seriously, you could do that..except there is no "plug". Look to Honda for that kind of thing, man. Things ain't so easy on these cars.

This is BMW.

Front speakers? the crossovers for the front tweeters are in the front midranges. What BMW BMXER was referring to is that the factory wiring will make you deck use only half its power. Not actually a true common ground (one ground wire for all speakers) but instead, seperate left and right ground wires...

Plus that damn fader has got to come out of there!

Don't panic, though. It isn't that hard to run new wires, and it will sound much better for having done so. Now about them speakers...the stock speakers are actually pretty good. The stock deck is a POS, as is the stock amp. Don't think you are gonna fly in there, swap the speakers out, add a head unit and have decent sound. These cars SUCK for accoustics. Hardly anyone actually likes their system who doesn't have at least a 4 channel powering their mids and highs.

A decent deck on the stock speakers sounds pretty good. Few aftermarket speakers can match the bass that the stock speakers make. Not like giant throbbing boom, but decent bass down to about 50hz or so.

Remeber that higher-end seperates are intended to be used with a subwoofer. Few have adequate bass on their own. Grab a CD or two and go listen. Start with Infinity " Reference" series, listen to at least 3 or 4 others.

Good Luck!

Luke

Closing SOON!
            "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

Working...
            X