Rewiring the Chassis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rewiring the Chassis

Has anybody done a full 8 or 12 circuit painless wiring kit on their e30?

How many circuits do you think i'd need?

Is the chassis electrical as simple as japanese cars with just ground and 12v to control everything? No funny switching grounds or anything weird right?
    Last edited by Maeda; 08-06-2006, 09:45 PM.

My question is why would you want to?

Luke

Closing SOON!
    "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

Rerouting, shortning, ease of repair are all good reasons to me. Also refreshing an old electrical system with new stuff gives me piece of mind I won't have a bad fire in the event of an accident or failure of somekind.

I can reroute the fuse box the way I want, as well as remove all the components on the system I won't need(AC, cruise, dome lights, sunroof, etc etc etc.)

Comment

track car?
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Maeda
          Rerouting, shortning, ease of repair are all good reasons to me. Also refreshing an old electrical system with new stuff gives me piece of mind I won't have a bad fire in the event of an accident or failure of somekind.

I can reroute the fuse box the way I want, as well as remove all the components on the system I won't need(AC, cruise, dome lights, sunroof, etc etc etc.)
          Makes sense, expecially since the BMW harness is so complex.

I have done 3 Painless kits in domestics. All easy, top quality.

Luke

Closing SOON!

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Comment

Hopping on to hear more about this - car's getting stripped and painted, may as well rewire if it's not that bad...passenger side window won't open or close now, pretty sure the old wire fried and shorted.

Comment

Painless does not make a wiring kit for the e30 or any BMW. Looks like your rewiring is going to hurt lol:drink: J/K:)
              Originally posted by cabriodster87
              "Honey? What color is this wire? Is it the same as that one? Are you sure? I don't believe it. OK, it works. Thank you sweetie."
              Originally posted by Kershaw
              i've got a boner and a desire to speed.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike325
                Painless does not make a wiring kit for the e30 or any BMW. Looks like your rewiring is going to hurt lol:drink: J/K:)
                He knows that. That's why he asked about either the 8 or 12 circuit kits. And rewiring a car from scratch is WAY easier then modifying an existing harness. Ends up much cleaner and hassle free.

Comment

ive really wanted to do this but dont want to go through the questions from my dad "what are you doing?" "rewiring the car" "why?" "i dont know"

you know that stuff, itd be nice to get rid of the excess wiring in the car though
                  Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Originally posted by TimKninja
                  Im more afraid of this thread turning into one of those classic R3v moments, where Pizza gets delivered.

Comment

Anybody can lend some general e30 eletrical knowledge?

I've done a painless and it is PAINLESS. All the wires have what they're supposed to be wired to written on the sheath.

So everything works on a 12v and ground simple as pie kind of deal like japanese cars right?

This is all the potential circuits I can think of right now
                    Windows
                    Brakelights
                    Signals
                    Headlights
                    Starter
                    Fuel Pump, ECU, ignition etc.
                    Accessories(radio, gauges, etc. etc.)

Comment

Originally posted by NitroRustlerDriver
                      He knows that. That's why he asked about either the 8 or 12 circuit kits. And rewiring a car from scratch is WAY easier then modifying an existing harness. Ends up much cleaner and hassle free.
                      EXACTLY! I've redone stock harnesses and its NO FUN. The wiring of a painless kit and the bosche relays are also very very high quality. A lot higher then oem wiring thats for sure.

Originally posted by Bimmerfanatik
                      Hopping on to hear more about this - car's getting stripped and painted, may as well rewire if it's not that bad...passenger side window won't open or close now, pretty sure the old wire fried and shorted.
                      You should do this now! Guinea pig for us! I'll help you figure some stuff out.

Comment

This is exactly what I have been thinking about doing, except on a different car and ADDING functions (central or at least power door locks perhaps). Ive been thinking about rewiring my 2002 with a painless fusebox in the glovebox but I dont know how much of a pita it will be to tie in with the original gauges, heater box controls, hazard lights, and function relays like signals, horn, etc. Those are probably are replaced though? Maybe I'm just being paranoid?? Would it still be easy to use the original turn stalks, wiper stalks etc? The car will have an M20 or S14 swap (M20 most likely) too. It has really been quite a while since I have looked into the idea.

Basically, if an E30 can be rewired, an 02 should be way easier -- except when I look at all the stock wiring in my 02 and even it is a mess. Ideas?

Comment

Originally posted by Maeda
                          Anybody can lend some general e30 eletrical knowledge?

I've done a painless and it is PAINLESS. All the wires have what they're supposed to be wired to written on the sheath.

So everything works on a 12v and ground simple as pie kind of deal like japanese cars right?

Windows
                          Brakelights
                          Signals
                          Headlights
                          Starter
                          Accessories(radio, gauges, etc. etc.)
                          There's more to your list (central locking, mirrors, check panel, OBC, cruise) but there's not an exorbitant amount. I'd really like to get something figured out - the car comes down to nothing in two months, so rewiring is a realistic and attractive option. I'd like to beef up the wiring to the windows, if at all possible - thicker gauge wiring should send more amps to the motor, thus making it more efficient, and work more fluidly. 20 year old arguably sub-par wiring should be replaced anyways...

Comment

We're making this the official project painless kit thread then.

Windows
                            Brakelights
                            Signals
                            Headlights
                            Starter
                            Accessories(radio, gauges, locks, mirrors)
                            Check panel, OBC (run with ecu?)

Im guessing the obc wont work if im changing the motor for something with a different ecu right? Same goes for the check panel too I suppose...

Ok now what can go on what circuit? I'm going to try and use an 8 circuit kit.

Comment

If you are gonna rewire, you really don't need to worry about what the stock stuff has...just make it the way you want.

All switching is completely normal. Door pins are neg. switch, everything else is positive, windows are voltage reversal, as are the locks.

Why not pull all the OBC/DIC/OE ECU and go MS w/ Speed density tuning? Save yourself an assload of hassle now and later!

Luke

Closing SOON!

Comment

Working...
                              X