Most Wiring in Cabin not Working

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Most Wiring in Cabin not Working

I just bought my BMW and my had to pull the engine to replace a bunch of gaskets. I bought a brand new battery today and when I put it in, most of the power components in the interior do not work. None of the windows work, the dome lights don't work, the fan doesn't work, and the radio doesn't work. The headlights and signals work the windshield wipers work, the glove box light works, and the dash lights work. I checked all the fuses and they are all good. Are these items not working linked to the engine not being hooked up? If not, what do you think could be wrong?

The unloader relay controls all of those things you listed. This relay turns the windows, radio, fan, etc. off when the starter is cranking, so all the battery's power can go to the starter for a stronger start. The unloader relay hooks up to the starter is the smaller green and blue wire. If your engine is out that's why none of your stuff is working.
    Last edited by RobDog; 06-06-2016, 03:35 PM.

Comment

Is there any way to hot wire it so I cant est the electrical parts while I am waiting for my engine parts to come in?

Comment

Yes, just ground the green/blue wire. I would tape off the smaller black/yellow starter engage wire and any other that may cause shorts like the thick alternator wire and starter wires. Just be careful.
        Last edited by RobDog; 06-06-2016, 05:06 PM.

Comment

Hell I would just take the alternator and starter wires off there really is not a way to tape those, they're just to big.

Comment

Do those wires for the starter come off the wiring harness. I had trouble yesterday trying to find the blue green wire off the harness.

Comment

I just took a look at my car and the correct color of the unloader wire is black/green. The wire does come off of the wiring harness and should be located close to the starter. It should also have a small eye terminal connector.

Comment

I'm just gonna assume all the other stuff works until I get the engine in and give it a crank. Thanks for the help.

Comment

Radio and mirror controls are still not working. Seems as though the fuel pump isn't working either. Windows are working after rebuilding all of the window switches. The engine is hooked up now, it turns over but won't start because there is no fuel. I also have no blower if that helps you diagnose this issue. Thanks

Comment

No blower and mirrors generally means you have something going on with fuse 20, your K5 and K7 relay, or you did not correctly fit the ground cable to the starter motor that feeds the unloader relay.
                    RHD OBD2 M50b25 turbo build thread:
                    http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=384800

Comment

E30 fuel pumps do not "prime" like most cars, the DME has to see a signal from the CPS before the fuel pump lights up

Closing SOON!
                      "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

What is the cps?

Comment

Update: First start. Had fuel lines hooked up backwards and needed new crankshaft position censor. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVGyHkTDDxw

Comment

Working...
                          X