Confirm speaker sizes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Confirm speaker sizes?

I have a 325i vert, with the tweeter pods on the door pillar.
    From searching this forum, I've seen people are using 1" tweeters here. What size are the stock tweeters?

Crutchfield's shows 5 1/4" speakers as the right size for the rear panels and the kick panels up front, but suggests different speakers for each location. Is this the right size, and is there a reason to use different speakers in each area?
    Cochran
    '88 325iC - daily driver, work in progress

Mine are 5 1/4" in the rear but it's a coupe so I dunno if that makes a dif. The fronts I think were the same but they were able to fit 6.5" in the front and I kept my panels on without cutting. I think they had to trim some of the metal on the inside though. I hear the tweets are 1" but not 100% sure on that.
    sigpic

Comment

Ditch the rear speakers and run a nice set of commponents up front. Stock are 5.25's, but like JJe30 said, you can fit 6.5's with a little modification. Then just get a nice 10" sub in a ported box of the right volume and you will have a bumpin' system.

Comment

Originally posted by NitroRustlerDriver
        Ditch the rear speakers and run a nice set of commponents up front. Stock are 5.25's, but like JJe30 said, you can fit 6.5's with a little modification. Then just get a nice 10" sub in a ported box of the right volume and you will have a bumpin' system.
        Don't mean to steal the thread... For a cabrio, 1 10" sub will not be enough at all. to much sheet metal between the trunk and the cabin and no room to port the box into the cabin. I was running 2 10" subs in sealed box in the trunk and it was pretty good even with the top down but i just got my hands on some sweet dual voice coil 12"ers. Those might be a bit too much but I'll just trun down my amp to reduce the bass and let the amp run easier/cooler. My 2 10" subs are for sale if anyone is interested.

Comment

i don't understand why nobody likes a good set of speakers all the way around in a car. I used to to the components up front and sub in the trunk method.. but i got tired of the trunks space pwnage.

In my touring i ran 4 components (5 1/4 up front, euro dins in the rear doors) and it sounded absolutely great. Took the same speakers in my 318is and dropped the euro dins in the rear pannel and they sounded great too.. Now why would they sound soo terrible in the back arm rests of the cabby?

Julien
          Build Threads:
          Pamela/Bella/Betty/325ix/5-Lug Seta/S60R/Miata ITB/Miata Turbo/Miata VVT/951/325xi-6

Comment

Originally posted by cochran View Post
            I have a 325i vert, with the tweeter pods on the door pillar.
            From searching this forum, I've seen people are using 1" tweeters here. What size are the stock tweeters?

Crutchfield's shows 5 1/4" speakers as the right size for the rear panels and the kick panels up front, but suggests different speakers for each location. Is this the right size, and is there a reason to use different speakers in each area?
            Stock tweeter pod tweeters are 1", all other speakers are 5 1/4" but the rear speakers are depth challenged.

See my install post:
            Aaron

Comment

Working...
            X