• Show
Clear All

• dashboardmonkey
    replied
    Holy fuck, my sig is such an old pic lol

Leave a comment:

• dashboardmonkey
    replied
    That fucking box is going to rattle like hell gearge. I promise.

Since I've been in the e30 scene, I've run a few different setups with sounds. Luke's products are second to none, period. I won't even consider running anything else.

Leave a comment:

• StereoInstaller1
    replied
    Whatever, George. Oh hey, where's the pictures of your bitchin' box? It's easy to do, right? Yours should be perfect, right?

Leave a comment:

• george graves
    replied
    No - it was another time - and I was just messing with you. Lighten up dude.

Leave a comment:

• StereoInstaller1
    replied
    You are welcome to say whatever crap you want George, and so will I.

However about the pm of you asking me why your box sounded so shitty? Let's play that game.

Leave a comment:

• george graves
    replied
    Originally posted by StereoInstaller1 View Post
    George, shut the fuck up about what you think my opinions are...
    It's not what I think, it's what you specifically told me that in a PM a long time ago. ;)

This isn't your personal sub-forum anymore. People are going to have different opinions than you. Deal with it.

Plus - you were removed as a moderator for a reason. Should I bring that up? Yea, I didn't think so dude.
    Last edited by george graves; 09-03-2016, 04:44 AM.

Leave a comment:

• StereoInstaller1
    replied
    George, shut the fuck up about what you think my opinions are, theres a reason you are blocked on my facebook page

Leave a comment:

• george graves
    replied
    I'm in the same predicament as the OP - I want a box to be removable for track day. I'll be building my own box(not hard to do, with some free software and an hour of googling.

And a key part is to use high current disconnects for the for ground and power. That way you can unplug your RCA's and remove the box - there is even a "remote amp turn on", so yank one connection, and it's ready to pop out.

For the box itself, I plan to make it in a like a "flight case". You might not know that name, but it's what all bands/pro audio for larger venues use to carry their stuff around.

Imagine this without the lid, and angled to match the angle of the e30 rear firewall. Outside corners are steal, and the edges are aluminum extrusions - all cheap online now-a-days (Thanks China?)

That way you can take it out, and not worry about weak MDF chipping on the corners as it loves to do.

Rather then using cheap drywall screws to attach it the car, I plan to use Semi-tractor trailer hood latches. They are made of rubber, and stretch over a capture - how much tension needed is up to you by the mounting distance. It it works for a 18 wheeler hood, it should work fine for a sub box in an e30 with the most spirited of driving.

Electrontics are still up in the air for me. A headless install is looking more and more like the way to go - so much more power. GPS, email, Nav, web, and you can upgrade it every year or so.

That and a $99 MiniDSP. Buy a case for another $10, and you have a fully programmable DSP from you laptop. Even if you your amp's/speakers cross-over points, the EQ alone is worth it.

BTW - Luke will tell you that Type-R is crap. I disagree.
    Last edited by george graves; 06-28-2016, 10:04 PM.

Leave a comment:

• StereoInstaller1
    replied
    This whole system can be done with less than 35 lbs if you pick your pieces carefully.

Here's Justin screwing the kit in place:

Leave a comment:

• MR E30 325is
    started a topic Track Car Audio Setup

Track Car Audio Setup

My E30 doesn't see much daily driver use anymore, but I still take it around town when I am in the mood. Part of the driving experience to me involves very loud and powerful, though still clean, music. My experience with audio setups and all the various bits and pieces is less than impressive, so I come to this sub-forum for advice/guidance.

I finally got back to fooling around with modding the E30 and I want to focus on sound first.

My current setup includes a Sony CDX-GT57UP HU. It has high and low pass filters and one set of component outputs that I currently have ran to the sub.

The sub is an Alpine Type R 12" sub in a ported box powered by an Alpine MRP-M500 Mono sub amplifier (500w RMS). The sub is mounted in what used to be the back seat, between the driver and passenger seats.

And that's its.

My 91 318is' stock speakers were blown/very old, so they have all been discarded. Due to the extreme difficulty of getting to the rear speakers due to the cage, I have opted to only run two front speakers and have no speakers in the rear.

I want to add a 75w RMS 2-channel amp. I am currently eyeing a Blaupunkt THA275PnP, but I am open to suggestions.

I'll be adding a set of 50w (or higher) RMS speakers, and I don't have a brand in mind at the moment.

My questions are:
    1. Will my current HU handle the addition of another amp? Or do I need to upgrade to a newer deck with more outputs?
    2. What brand would you recommend for the 2 channel amp? Not looking to spend mad money on something.
    3. Brand of speakers?

Any other questions or information you need please let me know. Thanks for your help.

- Mike
    Last edited by MR E30 325is; 06-28-2016, 01:06 PM.
Working...
X