Premium Sound

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Premium Sound

I bought a vert about a year ago and almost immediately the stock head unit went when the "everything" fuse kept blowing because of a frayed wire on the glove box flashlight which I just removed.

Anyway, I'm getting power through the wires to the head unit but it doesn't turn on at all. Everything worked perfectly before this went out. I am now left with two options.

I had a KDC Kenwood head unit in my sedan which took me about a half hour to install myself. This vert has a premium sound system and so it has an amp in the trunk. The instructions from Crutch field might as well tell me to go kick rocks so I brought it into a local audio shop.

The audio shop told me that to get a non-BMW headunit to work in this car it would need to be completely rewired and that depending on the ohms and whatnot it could blow all the speakers or really leave the sound quality lacking.

The guy told me to go on the internet to find a working stock headunit with code and replace it with the same thing because it wasn't worth paying them the $150-$200 to rewire the whole system to bypass the amp.

I sent this guy an email - does anyone else know a reman shop for these or someone that sells used/working headunits? I've had trouble finding the same one. http://www.willmanselectronics.com/bmw.htm

Are there other compatible headunits with the premium system? I have the CM5905 or CM5907; I'm not entirely sure how to tell the difference. What other models would work if I'm looking for a replacement to use with the premium system?

Beyond this: What's the better option? New stereo and rewiring or keeping the old system. The speakers are stock but the backs are Blaupunkt. Any input would be greatly appreciated!

:(:(:(:(:(

Your Kenwood is perfectly compatible with your stock amp. The issue is most installers have no clue how to do it. Installers everywhere all hate BMWs, and they always have.

I would recommend you spend $5 on a testlight if you dont already have one, make 100% sure you actually have power for both constant and accessory using an actual testlight, do not use a meter.

Once you know you have power on both of them, proceed from there. If you want to use the kenwood, wire it up just like the stock deck, only do not use the negative speaker leads from the deck, simply tape them off and use chassis ground on the amps signal negative, just like stock.

make sure you connect the power antenna lead and the amp remote lead properly too, if you use the Kenwood.

Best of luck,
    Luke

Closing SOON!
    "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

Working...
    X