E30 Gauge cluster issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

E30 Gauge cluster issues

Hey r3v, eric here and before anyone says to try searching, I have been researching this topic around numerous other forums but nothing seemed to match my problem. I figure I make a new thread to get some help

Anyways, the E30 that I had just purchased a few weeks back has had a wonky rev counter and speedo apparently before the previous owner. As the previous owner described, the speedo and tach would come on on at revs 4000+ or 5000+. Cruising on the highway below 4000 revs, both gauges are dead. However all the other gauges seem to work just fine, i.e. coolant temp, gas gauge, mileage etc. Just the tach and speedo are dead.

So, the most common issue is the gears breaking inside the tach that. I have since taken the gauge cluster out, its a Motometer unit. All the gears are mint on both gauge units.

Next I tried looking at the SI board batteries, but those are still in working fine and putting out 3Vs. Also the inspection light and the rest of the lights these batteries power are working fine.

As it stands, I plan on checking the speedo sensor on the diff and the fuses again later this week see if that fixes this pile. I will try and get a video of the problem as well.

If anyone has had similar problems and found a solution, pleasssssssssssssse post below:(

thanks r3v!

Pleasssssssssssssssssssssse help me :(

Comment

Could be your main board solder joints.
      This guy can help you.

Gregs///M
      1990 325i
      2004 330i Individual 6-speed
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by IceWhite View Post
        Could be your main board solder joints.