blower fan and power windows not working

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

blower fan and power windows not working

i have a 91 318is, my blower fan and windows suddenly stopped working at the same time. i checked the fuses, window switch breaker, and the ground wire under the dash by the brake pedal, everything looks fine. my radio and obc work fine. any suggestions?

I did some research, I changed out k5 and k7 relays and still not working

Comment

this is an m20 starter, I read some posts saying wiring could mess up functionality of power windows. I'm not sure if e30 m42s have only 3 wires I bought the car this way. I know m20s have a power cable running to the starter.

Comment

I'm having similar symptoms at the moment. I'm also suspecting it's something with the unloader relay, which is what the extra wire is on the starter. Your starter looks wired fine.

Oh and if it helps you can roll up the windows with a 4mm Allen key.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
        1987 325 w/ M52b28 - Bronzit
        2007 X3 - Platinum Bronze

Comment

problem solved, i installed a new starter. the one on it before was only a few months old but the small wire at the top wasnt getting properly grounded. there was a slight gap were the solder didnt connect.

Comment

Unfortunately it didn't solve my issue. And I could live with the windows and whatnot being in operable for the time being, but my electric cooling fan won't kick on.

What's the easiest way to wire my electric fan up temporarily so I can drive my car without overheating it until I sorry it out?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Comment

I have a friend who wired the electric fans on his civic with a switch directly to the battery. What all have you tried to remedy your issues? The reverse light wire by the shifter usually causes all sorts of issues, have you looked into that?

Comment

Yeah that's what I ended up doing. I wired and in-line fuse and a toggle switch so I can drive it atleast now. I checked the K5 and K7 relays, checked for blown fuses. Then I checked the unloader wire that goes to the starter.

My case may be a bit different since I just got done doing an engine swap.

I think I have something hinky going on with the wiring in the dash. I had to wire a bypass to the starter to get it to work. I didn't change or do anything with the wiring inside the car, but it does have the scars from a PO's attempt at putting in keyless entry/alarm/starter? or something under the dash. My windows and everything was working fine, then I decided I wanted the rest of the windows down, so I pushed multiple down buttons at the same time then halfway down, everything just stopped.

I haven't heard anything about the reverse light causing issues but I'll look into it I guess.

Comment

Working...
                X