E30 cassette unit repair???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

E30 cassette unit repair???

I have a 1992 325iC and its OEM radio gives off a lot of static sound when I adjust the volume. Rather than replacing it with a new radio, I'd like to repair the current one. Does anyone know of a place that I can send for repair??

A can of CRC23 could fix it for $6.99 at Oreilleys, its not that hard to get at

Closing SOON!
    "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

next steps

after some internet searches, I was able to find a place that does repair. I will be sending it to this place for repair. I'll keep the thread posted on the quality of its work.

The place is called German Auto Radio Repair and it is located in North Hollywood.

Comment

Crc-23

Hi - so I bought a CRC-5103 (QD electronic cleaner) this morning and spray into the volume knob after reading a thread about ways to repair the static sound. Perhaps I am doing something wrong but it didn't seem to work. In fact, it was making a loud Harmonic sound (screeching sound).

If you can, can you pls give some pointers so that I can do the repair myself??

I saw your ad earlier and was wondering what your company does? I am looking to restore my E30 and am doing some research on this forum.

Comment

i was able to fix mine with the CRC electronic cleaner.
          Steps i found online.
          How to fix it:
          There is no need to remove the radio. Go to your local auto store and buy electrical cleaner, pull the volume knob off the radio. There is nothing retaining the knob it just pulls off. Spray a liberal amount of electrical contact cleaner in the hole, on the shaft, and behind the shaft. Then put the volume knob back on and turn the volume up and down numerous times.
          I also did this for the Bass and Treble Eq sliders and the fader slider.

Worked like a charm.

Comment

Originally posted by NYCDelphin View Post
            i was able to fix mine with the CRC electronic cleaner.
            Steps i found online.
            How to fix it:
            There is no need to remove the radio. Go to your local auto store and buy electrical cleaner, pull the volume knob off the radio. There is nothing retaining the knob it just pulls off. Spray a liberal amount of electrical contact cleaner in the hole, on the shaft, and behind the shaft. Then put the volume knob back on and turn the volume up and down numerous times.
            I also did this for the Bass and Treble Eq sliders and the fader slider.

Worked like a charm.
            YES!!! This, exactly this.

Please remember: if the noise is not affected by the volume knob, this is not applicable.

A bad amp makes screeching noises, a bad volume control only sounds crackly or staticky, and changes with volume. Bad amps can make other rackets too, popping seems to be a favorite after the screetching

I would take the deck out of the car and take it apart myself, so you can get to the backsides of the sliders and knobs, and try to operate it while its freshly sprayed, waiting even a couple seconds reduces effectiveness.

Closing SOON!
            "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

repaired cassett

I tried the electrical cleaner recommendation. although the radio was not perfect after the initial spray, it worked like a champ the next morning. The trick saves me $150 for repair and it also saves me the hassle of taking it out of my car, shipping it, and reinstalling the radio.

Comment

Working...
              X