Simple fusebox power/ground question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Simple fusebox power/ground question

Simple question about the power wires on my fuse box. I've tried searching and couldn't find an answer, probably because this is such a stupid question. I wasn’t the one that took these off and I’m very unfamiliar with electrical stuff. I’m trying to figure out if there is a ground to the fuse box and if one of these two black cables go to the fused 12v line on the distribution block in the engine bay.

There are two black wires for power that come out of the box, one of the ring terminals is smaller than the other. This leads me to believe that one of them goes to the 12v that has a fuse on it and the other goes to the 12v that doesn’t have a fuse. Is this correct or do both go to the 12v post with no fuse?

Also, does the fuse box have a ground? Where does it ground to? I don't see anything coming out of the box unless it is wrapped in a wire loom with other wires.

Thank you!
    E30: '91 318is - M52/ZF320 | Azev A 16X7.5 | H&R Race/Bilstein | Completely refreshed suspension/brakes/drivetrain

An Associate/Bachelors degree is America's most overrated product

An answer to your second question...a fuse box does not have a ground because the fuses are hot, either all the time or switched. A ground at the fuse box (upstream of the load) would cause a dead short.

As to your first question, my Vert has the battery up front so there is a slightly different configuration, but mine has two wires with different size ring terminals, just like yours pictured. Both of them connect to the positive battery clamp, using different size bolts. I see a generic style batrery clamp on the right side of the junction block in your photo...it's possible that when the OEM clamp was removed you lost the two bolts for those ring terminals.

Comment

Originally posted by PKile View Post
      An answer to your second question...a fuse box does not have a ground because the fuses are hot, either all the time or switched. A ground at the fuse box (upstream of the load) would cause a dead short.

As to your first question, my Vert has the battery up front so there is a slightly different configuration, but mine has two wires with different size ring terminals, just like yours pictured. Both of them connect to the positive battery clamp, using different size bolts. I see a generic style batrery clamp on the right side of the junction block in your photo...it's possible that when the OEM clamp was removed you lost the two bolts for those ring terminals.
      Thank you for the info! With your info and what I thought would be fine, I connected both the wires to the positive post not using the 12v fuse line. Worked fine.
      E30: '91 318is - M52/ZF320 | Azev A 16X7.5 | H&R Race/Bilstein | Completely refreshed suspension/brakes/drivetrain

An Associate/Bachelors degree is America's most overrated product

Comment

Working...
      X