Amp with Digital Input?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Amp with Digital Input?

I am thinking of building a car computer and am looking for an amp to connect to it. The motherboard I have picked out has a coaxial (single RCA) S/PDIF digital audio output and I thought that would be the best to use.

Does anyone make an amp that can use that as an imput? I don't need a real high end amp. The smaller the better. I was thnking something like a 2 channel 300watt. I will only be running a set of components, so...

Anyone have an opinion on hooking it up this way? I don't want to run a headunit and this seemed like the only way to go.

Originally posted by NitroRustlerDriver

Does anyone make an amp that can use that as an imput?
    Alpine 5 channel, proprietary input, like $900 or some silly shit. Meant for 5.1, of course. I wanna see a small touchscreen and winamp (or whatever)

Nothing has a digital output, so nothing has a digital input.

Besides, volume is not controlled in digital, so you would need some kind of outboard controller anyway.

Sorry.

Luke

Closing SOON!
    "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

Ok, do you see any problems with just running from the line output off the PC to RCA's into an amp? I know this isn't ideal, but I'm not looking for AMAZING sound here, just good enough to listen to music and hear navigation commands and such. Should atleast sound as good as computer speakers, right?

Comment

Actually, most sound cards work great like that, but the hassle is gonna be using some windows-based volume control.

A Creative "Extigy" will fit the bill beautifully.

Another potential hassle should be eliminated by using an Extigy as well...you should be immune from ground loops, the primary cause of alternater whine.

Luke

Closing SOON!

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Comment

Originally posted by StereoInstaller1 View Post
          Actually, most sound cards work great like that, but the hassle is gonna be using some windows-based volume control.

A Creative "Extigy" will fit the bill beautifully.

Another potential hassle should be eliminated by using an Extigy as well...you should be immune from ground loops, the primary cause of alternater whine.

Luke
          I've seen Extigy setups that actually have worse ground loop than the internal sound card. The ground loop is picked up through the USB because the MB is poorly grounded.

The best way to avoid this is to solder a wire to the bottom of our carputer case and ground it to your chasis. Keep the ground wire as short as possible.

I've used the headphone jack -> RCA adapter for every carputer setup I've installed and it works great as long as the MB is properly grounded.

BTW.. someone out there does make a 5.1 in car processor but it's pretty expensive and only good for bling factor IMO.

Comment

Alpine MRA-F350 is the cheapest with Optical input

If you want a little more quality you can run an Alpine H701 sound processor with the RUX-H701 controller and get 5.1, though you'd need to run separate amps.

Comment

Originally posted by Tuanies View Post
              Alpine MRA-F350 is the cheapest with Optical input

If you want a little more quality you can run an Alpine H701 sound processor with the RUX-H701 controller and get 5.1, though you'd need to run separate amps.
              A couple of issues: First, no longer available. See below. Second, ONLY works on Alpines proprietary protocol, so would not work in this example.

I do not believe the intent was 5.1, but to use an optical input in 2 channel mode.

This amp may possibly be "Vaporware", no one (and I mean industry professionals) I know has actually seen one. This amp was announced last August, but no shipping date was set at that time. I was working for an Alpine dealer, I heard this at an actual Alpine training event.

5.1 in car is one of those things that just never took off. I have done 3 installs total using 5.1...out of somewhere around 250 video installs.

My favorite one used 5 cheap ass Blaupunkt amps for the 5 corners, plus a big bloody Kicker POS for bass...in a Tahoe.

Luke

Closing SOON!

Comment

Magnolia Audio Video in Tacoma had it on display.

Strangely Alpine doesn't have a manual for it, but they do have a manual for the MRA-F355 which appears similar. From the looks of it it'll accept a standard optical digital input for Dolby Digital and DTS. It als supports Dolby Pro Logic II. It does look like it requires an Alpine Ai-Net controller to adjust the volume and other settings though.

Comment

we are still putting 5.1 in Acuras.. So it's taken off in OEM in my opinion.

Comment

Working...
                  X