High Beam issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

High Beam issues

ok so here is the story... the high beam stick on the column has always been sensitive since i have owned the car but tonight i was driving home in the dark on the highway and i hit some bumps... the high beams came on and flashed... i noticed but didnt think much of it. a bit more and they started to stay on. so i was a bit more concerned... i quickly would catch them from staying on so i dont upset other drivers... so i decided to pull over and pull out the fuses for my night drive home... but... then the problem still persisted and now, with no highbeams, the low beams would go out since the high beams take the place of lowbeams when activated... uuuuugh! anyone have a suggestion? whats the fix here? new stock? or....?

the problem is most likely either your K3 or K4 relay but could also be your highbeam/turn signal stalk switch

it's a Kenny Powers quote on wheels

Comment

Originally posted by Das Delfin View Post
      the problem is most likely either your K3 or K4 relay but could also be your highbeam/turn signal stalk switch
      thats a good place to start.. thanks for the advice. if its not that then...

Comment

the key is your low beam lights flicking on and off in correlation with your high beams. This means there is a problem in the entire circuit, and the common point in the circuit is either the high beam control switch or the relay. It's common for the solder points inside relays to weaken and break over time. Try replacing (or testing) both the K3 and K4. I believe the K3 is the main one but I haven't looked at the diagram in a while

it's a Kenny Powers quote on wheels

Comment

Originally posted by Das Delfin View Post
          the key is your low beam lights flicking on and off in correlation with your high beams. This means there is a problem in the entire circuit, and the common point in the circuit is either the high beam control switch or the relay. It's common for the solder points inside relays to weaken and break over time. Try replacing (or testing) both the K3 and K4. I believe the K3 is the main one but I haven't looked at the diagram in a while
          Seems to be the right place to start...
          thanks.

Anyone know where you can buy new relays that are proper? cant seem to find them. Bosch 0 332 014 454

Comment

Originally posted by blackmist27 View Post
            Seems to be the right place to start...
            thanks.

Anyone know where you can buy new relays that are proper? cant seem to find them. Bosch 0 332 014 454
            Pick n pull. A couple bucks for a handful. I've had them throw them in when I was buying other stuff too.
            sigpic

Comment

You can also go to your local auto parts store and find a relay to matches. Just make sure the numbers by the prongs are the same and of course make sure it has the same amount of prongs in the correct orientation. They're cheap at less than $10/each

Comment

thanks guys... ill let you know once i get everything installed.

Comment

Wait, do your low beams turn off normally when the high beams go on? If so, I'd guess that you have a sealed beam car that was converted to ellipsoids. In this case, you need a jumper wire in the fuse box to the relay for the low beams. (And the jumper wire should come off the *trigger* pin on the relay, not the *output* pin.) A bad relay is also a strong possibility, but you have not provided much information to go on.

Also, don't underestimate the possibility of a bad turn signal stalk. When they get old, they often seem to fail to high beam activation.
                  2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4WD LBZ/Allison
                  2002 BMW M3 Alpinweiß/Black
                  1999 323i GTS2 Alpinweiß
                  1995 M3 Dakargelb/Black
                  - S50B32/S6S420G/3.91
                  1990 325is Brilliantrot/Tan
                  1989 M3 Alpinweiß/Black

Hers: 1996 Porsche 911 Turbo Black/Black
                  Hers: 1988 325iX Coupe Diamantschwartz/Black 5spd

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by nrubenstein View Post
                    Wait, do your low beams turn off normally when the high beams go on? If so, I'd guess that you have a sealed beam car that was converted to ellipsoids. In this case, you need a jumper wire in the fuse box to the relay for the low beams. (And the jumper wire should come off the *trigger* pin on the relay, not the *output* pin.) A bad relay is also a strong possibility, but you have not provided much information to go on.

Also, don't underestimate the possibility of a bad turn signal stalk. When they get old, they often seem to fail to high beam activation.
                    Sure... let me add some more color. so it seems like both high beam and low beams come on at the same time. however, i know the other night when i took out the highbeam fuses the low beams would click off every so often since they were being triggered somehow. either way... at normal operation, i think they all come on at the same time. also, i took this picture of the fuse box and it looks like relay K3 for the high beams is different then the rest... might be the culprit. see here:

however, who knows..? i did order a brand spanking new stalk as well. in a couple weeks i should have the part and i will install that with a replacement relay (off ebay). what are your thoughts?

Comment

Working...
                    X