ignition switch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ignition switch

has anyone ever hooked up a switch or button so you turn the key and have to push a button to start the car? i want to do this im just not exactly sure how it would work and which wire to use and all that good stuff is there a diy anywhere out there for this because it seems like it would be a fun little project and a cool thing to do

It's doable. All you would need to do is wire a switch from power to the crank wire on the ignition. I.E. - The wire that gets power when you turn the key to "crank". This way, the key will still work, but you don't HAVE to use it.

Just make sure you give it enough power and that the switch you use can handle the power. Might even want to put a relay on it instead of running all the current through the switch.

Another cool but useless thing I always thought that would be neat is a little numeric display to show which gear you were in (manual tranny , not auto). Would be hard though. You would have to have several switches to trigger the display (one for each gear).

Comment

I wired the cig lighter to be a starter switch, it should work but there is no engine in my car to try it. I just cut the big black wire off of the ignition switch, but you could probably just take it from under the dash. Then i ran a wire to the cig lighter and used the lighters power wire for power. I also modified the cig lighter a little to have better contact and not stay down. I still have to make some soders across the coil part of the lighter

Comment

yea i was thinking takin a window switch mounting it sideways behind the shifter because it would be all discreet and stuff and no one would kno how to turn my car on and it would be awesome lol

Comment

Working...
        X