Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will the radio turn off while cranking...if you are using a starter button?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Will the radio turn off while cranking...if you are using a starter button?

the reason i ask is becaue i think as my button is wired up it can turn the car over at anytime, key or not. but, I have run like a 14ga wire for the radio and am going to use the current radio power and ground for a relay. I was thinking i could then just radio power wire (after the relay) to power the starter.

What fuse should i use? I am also running my citi lights off of it

I believe that wire does not recieve power while cranking. Just run a new wire. So much easier and cleaner.

Comment

well yeah but im thinking it might be becuase of the ignition switch. and run a new wire from where? I have it hooked up to a constant power but i dont want that since the engine will be able to turn over at any time. A 14ga wire from the power block switched with a relay seems like the best way to me

Comment

OK, lemme throw you a few tricks.

1. As far as radio power, try this: http://www.the12volt.com/relays/page5.asp#drto
        This will give you power on your radio until you open a door...you could easily convert this to keep radio power on while cranking.

You can also catch the starter wire with a diode, so that the radio will continue playing whilke cranking.

2. Your "Start" button should be wired to the ignition switch, so your "Start" button only has power when the key is on. No need for a relay or 14ga wire either. Starter circuit draws about 1.2 amps, so no big power necessary.

Luke

Closing SOON!
        "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

well i ran the wire for the HU, and my citi lights (this was origionaly going to be for my fan but i decided to not have a switch). So there is going to be a wire and relay for that no matter what. I thought it would just be simple enough to run another wire from the relay to the starter button. I think the feature of stuff turning off when the car is cranking is built into the ignition switch, but i will have to hook stuff back up to confirm this

Comment

fuck

I when i turned it to the start position the radio wires still had 12 volts. does this mean i have to tear my steering column apart agian or is there another wire i can tap off of? the instrament cluster is out if theres anything back there. can i go off of one of the real small wires from the ignition switch? i would think that would be big enough as the black wire that came from the switch to start the car is huge

Comment

im thinking the green wire. though it kind of sucks doing this now since the start function seems to be disabled since the engine is out, as it the radio wont turn off or anything. I hope i dont fit out that it doesnt work when i want to start my car for the first time in a year

Comment

Working...
              X