My starter mod...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My starter mod...

To make a long story short, the idiot kid that had this car before me really hacked it up pretty bad. He apparently lost the key and instead of getting one made at a dealer, he decided to cut apart the steering lock on the column. I didn't feel like buying a whole new steering column, not to mention the labor to put one in. Here's my solution:

BTW, there is a hidden kill switch but also my recently installed alarm has starter kill on it too. Best of all, the kill switch and starter only cost me $10.
    Attached Files

No replies so just wondering if people know what their looking at. My goal was to make it stealth so maybe I succeeded?

Comment

write up ?

Comment

Originally posted by Alpine003 View Post
        No replies so just wondering if people know what their looking at. My goal was to make it stealth so maybe I succeeded?
        cig lighter push button ;)
        ///Alpinweiß II 24v 91' 318is, Alpinweiß III 99' 323i, 04' Yamaha R6 SE for sale, 00' VW GTi, 83' El Camino BURNED, 01' P71sold, 92' Miatasold

Comment

Originally posted by asubimmer View Post
          cig lighter push button ;)
          Ding Ding Ding, Bingo.

If enough people expresses interest, I can probably take it apart again and start documenting the process.

Comment

i did that, only i actaully used the stock cig lighter.

Comment

Originally posted by e304me View Post
              i did that, only i actaully used the stock cig lighter.
              Interesting...I haven't really thought about it. Were you able to mod the housing so that it wouldn't lock when being pushed down? Also, did you have to modify the internal contacts?

Comment

yeah i bent the taps over so it will hit them instead of lock it down. I also welded across the spiral so it would conduct better, i have been able to actaully try it though

Comment

Originally posted by e304me View Post
                  yeah i bent the taps over so it will hit them instead of lock it down. I also welded across the spiral so it would conduct better, i have been able to actaully try it though
                  Cool thing wiht that is that you could take it out of the car with you like HU faceplate and no one could start the car.

Comment

hahah thats tight ud be carryin a e30 cig lighter in your pocket

All-Red/MHW style Professional Tinted Tail lights
                    PnP EMS, fuel injectors, wideband o2 systems

Comment

Originally posted by blueapplesoda View Post
                      hahah thats tight ud be carryin a e30 cig lighter in your pocket
                      LAZER CUT KEYZ YO.
                      Project Thread | Instagram | Phoenix, Arizona Events Thread

Comment

Originally posted by NitroRustlerDriver View Post
                        Cool thing wiht that is that you could take it out of the car with you like HU faceplate and no one could start the car.
                        That would be a plus and to take it even 1 step further, you could actually "key" the cig lighter cylinder and the socket so only your cig lighter can fit into the socket. Obviously, these things would just be a detterant because techinically, they can just use a jumper wire to bridge the connections if they really wanted to.

I might have to redo my starter mod. Hmmm...

Comment

If you simply "gut" the base of the lighter assy, you could put a momentary contact pushbutton in the base. Simply push down on the stock lighter and your engine starts.

You could also do a starter kill by using a relay and a push-on/push-off switch to toggle the relay. Would be kinda tough to do both, start and kill, but possible...

Luke

Closing SOON!
                          "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

i would rather have my cig lighter be the killswitch, ie you have to have it pressed in (non momentary) to start the car, then you push it again or take it out or something and the car wont start. then put like a windows switch or something like that up next to the hazard lights for the startup.

damn thats a good idea
                            Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Originally posted by TimKninja
                            Im more afraid of this thread turning into one of those classic R3v moments, where Pizza gets delivered.

Comment

I also gut them and make them into subwoofer level controls.

Luke

Closing SOON!
                              "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

Working...
                              X