Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weird Relay issue

Hello all!!

I recently purchased my first e30, a 1990 325is. Body and interior is perfect and the engine was recently rebuilt with beefed up internals and a turbo.

The only issue I have found so far(besides a pesky VC gasket that is leaking) is some of the electronics are acting weird.

The blower motor, side view mirrors, and about half the gauge cluster only work when the car is starting.

I've done as much searching as I could, and know the K5 and K7 relays are supposed to cut power from these systems to shunt power to the starter, but this seems to be working the opposite to that. And it seems the power windows should be affected by this issue, but they actually work just like they should.

The PO installed MS2 PNP as a replacement ECU when adding the turbo. Could he have hooked up something wrong that would have caused this?

I tried moving the horn relay to K7 and it didn't seem to fix the issue, but i haven't messed with K5 relay yet.

I am just stumped why only a few systems seem to be affected. Could anyone point me in an area for me to check?

Any help would be appreciated!!
Working...
X