Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Electric Advice

Hello All,
    New to E30s. I have a 1989 325is. I am looking for some advice from you guys who know these cars. Long story short, I was doing other work in the engine bay and noticed some things.

The washer pump connector is barely there and doesn't work.
    The fog light connector is held together by tape and doesn't work.
    I pulled C150 (number found on wiring manual Component View page 7000-1, Figure 1 and 2) up to get a better look at it and it disintegrated and now I need to figure out what to do with that.

What would you guys do with these brittle connectors?
    Should I find better connectors with pigtails and splice them in the place of these bad ones? Should I just get new connectors from RealOEM.com or FCP and clean the wires with cleaner and replace these brittle connections?

Any help is appreciated.

I have attached a couple photos of some of the problem connectors.

Thank you for your help.
    Attached Files

Some of these are still available new, but they are pricey. I just bought new a few new connectors from Bav auto last summer.

You can also pretty easily grab them from any junked e30 or similar vintage BMW if you want extras cheap. Yes they will be old, but you may be able to find them in better shape than yours.

Some of the part numbers I used to get you started:
    61 13 1 378 410
    61 13 1 378 417
    61 13 1 378 418
    61 13 1 378 419
    61 13 1 378 446 - pigtails that fit in the plug housings

Thank god, R3V was getting boring since the ginger kid wrecked his car. - Stonea

Comment

Any thoughts on that C150 photo? It looks like it has a thick plastic or resin insulator. Could I get away with heat wrapping that connection? Is it thickly insulated because it gets hot or is it insulated that way so it can fit into the bracket holder for easy access?

Thanks

Comment

I think you can just wrap that. Those plugs are NLA I believe.

They are used for the air bag system and the antilock brake sensors IIRC. I had one plug go bad and I found a car being parted and took that plug and spliced it in.

The plug itself doesn't generate any heat. I can't say specifically why the heavy insulation, but I would guess that since the ABS and the air bag systems are both critical safety systems; that's why they went heavy duty on those connectors.
        Thank god, R3V was getting boring since the ginger kid wrecked his car. - Stonea

Comment

Working...
        X