Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Headlight Switch Common Problem?

Q: Is the headlight switch a common problem in these cars

So long story short, I had to remove my whole interior a while back to assess a rust issue. Currently everything is back together but now I've noticed that I have a bunch of lights that don't turn on when I pull the "Headlight Switch" knob (left of the steering wheel). Left high/low beam, tach, headlight switch light, defogger, and a few HVAC lights don't turn on at all. I haven't tested much, all I've tested were the high/low beam lights and found that power is not getting to the plugs, which means the bulbs are not the culprits.

Everything was working prior to the removal. I'm not really sure what the problem could be, this isn't the first time I've removed the whole interior and I haven't had any lighting issues in the past.
    "Time doesn't heal anything... It just teaches us how to live with the pain." - My Cracked Dashboard

This is the item in question:
    Attached Files
    "Time doesn't heal anything... It just teaches us how to live with the pain." - My Cracked Dashboard

Comment

sounds like a fuse issue

it's a Kenny Powers quote on wheels

Comment

I too have had one freak out on me and fry.
        Originally posted by Matt-B
        hey does anyone know anyone who gets upset and makes electronics?

Comment

You removed the dash as well?

Comment

Originally posted by george graves View Post
            I too have had one freak out on me and fry.
            Did all the lights completely stop working when the switch went out? Cuz when I turn mine on, only half of everything works so maybe this isn't my problem... Maybe it's just fuses.... Then again I think I got too high of bulb wattage for my headlights...

Comment

Originally posted by Cephas View Post
              You removed the dash as well?
              Everything.

Comment

Originally posted by Zambuzan View Post
                Did all the lights completely stop working when the switch went out? Cuz when I turn mine on, only half of everything works so maybe this isn't my problem... Maybe it's just fuses.... Then again I think I got too high of bulb wattage for my headlights...
                I think I shorted my ash tray wires to ground. My e30 is a bit different as it's been a test mule for some of the electronics I make for e30's. Something like that was bound to happen to me as I tap into that circuit often, and apparently left it hanging one day. Normal folks won't have those worries.

Comment

I think I shorted my ash tray wires to ground. My e30 is a bit different as it's been a test mule for some of the electronics I make for e30's. Something like that was bound to happen to me as I tap into that circuit often, and apparently left it hanging one day. Normal folks won't have those worries.
                  Cool. Do you have a website or something for your products? Sorry for noob question.

Comment

Originally posted by Zambuzan View Post
                    Cool. Do you have a website or something for your products? Sorry for noob question.
                    I don't. I make things in batches and then list them for sale when they are up for grabs. Short list is... true one-touch windows(the real deal, not the "burn your car down" stuff that has cropped up from Lithuania) Interior light delays, e30 outside air temp sensor, Digital AFR gauges that fit into a hazard switch, and a few more things.

Comment

I don't. I make things in batches and then list them for sale when they are up for grabs. Short list is... true one-touch windows(the real deal, not the "burn your car down" stuff that has cropped up from Lithuania) Interior light delays, e30 outside air temp sensor, Digital AFR gauges that fit into a hazard switch, and a few more things.
                      Cool stuff. Will definitely be following your threads now lol. Anything coming up? ETAs? More specifically, the AFR guage?

Comment

I am also having a headlight switch issue.

basically my lights will only come on when i have my high beam on. if the high beam is not on then i don't have any working exterior lights up front.

I drove my e30 from California to London!

Comment

Working...
                        X