Is the CD23 pretty much plug & play?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is the CD23 pretty much plug & play?

Is the CD23 pretty much plug & play into the E30? Will I need a different wiring harness? Will the deck fit flush like the original one does? I’m looking for a stock BMW deck that will allow me to play CDs. Thanks.

MODEL #: CD23.
    Part # 65 12 8 360 795
    - 1987 BMW 325is
    - 2002 BMW M3
    - 2003 BMW 540i Sport

Originally posted by Andy View Post
    Is the CD23 pretty much plug & play into the E30?
    No, you will need to rewire the entire car, use an aftermarket harness and depending on year, an antenna adapter.
    Will I need a different wiring harness?
    see above.
    Will the deck fit flush like the original one does?
    No, unless you modify the dash bezel by cutting off the mounting lip.
    I’m looking for a stock BMW deck that will allow me to play CDs. Thanks.
    You and everyone else!:D These decks aren't meant to drive speakers directly, although you can...it will just get hot. Your best bet is to use any decent aftermarket 4 channel amp with the CD23.

Good Luck!
    Luke

Closing SOON!
    "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

Thanks for the quick response, Luke. I had a feeling this wouldn’t be easy. You’ll have to please excuse the noob questions below, I don’t have much experience in this area.

Do you have a recommended setup so I could use the CD23? I’m looking for a stock look (i.e. no big subwoofer in the trunk). I’m ok with how it sounds from the factory, but of course since I have to go through all this, better sound quality would be great. If I have to rewire the car anyway… might as well replace the factory speakers, no?

So I guess what I’m asking, what would you recommend I get to use with the CD23?

- Which aftermarket harness?
      - Which antenna adapter (for an ’87 325is built in May of ‘87)?
      - Which aftermarket 4 channel amp?
      - What speakers should I go with?
      - What size speaker wire?

Thanks again.
      - 1987 BMW 325is
      - 2002 BMW M3
      - 2003 BMW 540i Sport

Comment

Originally posted by Andy View Post
        Thanks for the quick response, Luke. I had a feeling this wouldn’t be easy. You’ll have to please excuse the noob questions below, I don’t have much experience in this area.
        No problem, man. I love talking about this crap. I just wish my bursitis didn't keep me from being a decent typist!

If you have this deck, your car can sound great.

Which aftermarket harness?
        "Best" (AKA AAMP of America) BHO 8590 if deck is from E36.
        Which antenna adapter (for an ’87 325is built in May of ‘87)?
        BAA7, again from AAMP. Unless, since my memory is shot, yours might need the opposite adapter. You need "Motorola Female" to "Euro Male", so whatever that is will do fine.
        Which aftermarket 4 channel amp?
        See below for explanation
        What speakers should I go with?
        Whatever fits....what is wrong with factory premium you should already have? I like the Memphis MSync, they are great...about $250/pr retail. Stock speakers have unbeatable midbass, damn near anything you find will lack in bottom. IF you subwoof, all of that changes. See more explanation below
        What size speaker wire?
        Big speaker wire is nothing but audio Jewelery. Any decent 18 or 16 guage is more than adequate for anything you may ever want to hear. If you want to spend money, go for anything designed by either Ray Kimber or Bruce Brisson.

Otherwise, go to Home Depot and buy some wire. Don't fall for that industry crap.

Amplifier is the biggie here. Rather than tell you a model number, I woudl rather you do your own research. I promise if you follow my instruction, you will be happy with the sound.
        1. Ignore brand name. Why? Becasue everything affordable is made in China anyway...get Arc Audio if you want to spend the bucks. Designed by Bob Zeff, arguably the best sounding amp available in Car Audio today. Geneis is sweet, as is Brax, but none of those guys have been designing since 1971. Butler is another amazing amp, so is Milbert, but who the hell wants to live with tube amps in their car?

2. Buy the features you need, not the specs. You NEED variable electronic crossovers, preferrably 18db/oct (or more), that will go down to 50Hz in highpass...or a variable "Subsonic" (actually Infrasonic, because subsonic means slower than the speed of sound...and if you drive 1130 FPS at sea level, get out of this forum) filter, capable of doing a 40 to 50Hz highpass.

3. Think small. You need an honest 10 watts per channel, for a total of 40 watts. If you go from 40 honest watts to an honest 400 watts you gain about 50% more loud...if you have speakers that can handle it (none can, really). You will NOT find the features I demand for you with that little power. You will likely have to have about 35 to 50 watts per channel.

Your input stage will be far easier than normal, because your deck has massive output compared to an aftermarket deck...so make sure it can handle at least 5V inputs, 10 would be better.

You will also want 2 "Y" cords, with 2 female ends on each. You will be cutting these up, so don't worry too much about pretty.

I will tell you that any experienced pro can do this install in about 3 hours, not counting the dashboard mods, which should take about 2 to 3 hours.

This is NOT a tough install, so do it yourself. R3V can walk you through it, just plan on buying a couple of tools (crimpers, panel poppers, soldering iron) and spending an entire day making this work.

As far as speakers go, most of todays better speakers do NOT make bass. If you use a subwoofer, you can take all of the bass out of the front/rear speakers, allowing them to do their job properly. This is why I recommend the stock speakers, assuming they are the "premuim" setup. Especially with aftermarket crossovers, they are actually pretty damn good.

GL!
        Luke

Closing SOON!

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Comment

Andy - do you already have the CD23? There is also the CD43, which I think is a newer model - may have more features (RDS, etc). Would need the same amount of work to make it fit as the CD23.
          Aaron

Comment

Luke, thank you for your detailed response. I’ve found all of the parts you are referring to except for the amp. Most of what you said about the amp went right over my head. Do you have a model you’d recommend? I’d prefer something small and light if possible.

Aaron, no, I don’t have it yet. I’ve had my eye on both the CD23 and the CD43, it’s just the CD43 is more expensive.
            - 1987 BMW 325is
            - 2002 BMW M3
            - 2003 BMW 540i Sport

Comment

I think I am gonna try and find a "rover" deck for my sons car. Same deck, lower price. I bid on one, but it got over $80 as soon as I bid on it...with 4 days left.

Andy, as far as the amp goes, just look for the feautres I mentioned. I know of a few...quite a few. Almost every major and minor manufacturer will be glad to sell you one!

Here is the product manual for one of my favorites, The Exile X600.4 Big, heavy, powerful, MASSIVE overkill for your needs...but really sweet info in that manual, too.

Luke

Closing SOON!

Comment

this is very good info, am i right in assuming that it will be the same deal as the c33?

in which case its not worth the effort?
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by aproy View Post
                  this is very good info, am i right in assuming that it will be the same deal as the c33?

in which case its not worth the effort?
                  Depends on what you want - I retrofitted a C43 deck in my car for the stock look, rewired everything for some better speakers and a modest amp - and I love it!
                  Aaron

Comment

the stockers are pretty good huh? Does anyone have one they could lend me? I'm interested in seeing how good they are on paper (frequency response). I could return it and also show just how good they really are ;). Who made the stockers, Luke?

Comment

Originally posted by 87Blue325iC View Post
                      Depends on what you want - I retrofitted a C43 deck in my car for the stock look, rewired everything for some better speakers and a modest amp - and I love it!
                      i actually saw your car when i was looking for a replacement, and it made me want a c43, price and avalibility made me go with the c33. did you actually re-wire all the speakers as well? and did you have to use an aftermarket amp?
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by netcsk View Post
                        Who made the stockers, Luke?
                        Nokia.

Luke

Closing SOON!

Comment

Originally posted by aproy View Post
                          did you have to use an aftermarket amp?
                          If you are satisfied with a total of 8.6 watts RMS and a deck that overheats on a hot day, you do not HAVE to have an amp.

But please remember that ALL of those decks mentioned have a factory amp. All E34, E36 have amps. I know of no other BMW chassis newer than E30 that has deck-powered speakers.

Luke

Closing SOON!

Comment

Couple of E30 to E36 HU conversion Q's

I thought many E30's came wired up with amps from the factory. I know the E30 M3's did.

If someone's E30 is wired up to an amp, are the E36 units plug and play?

Does anyone have the part# for the harness that would convert the E30 incar harness to interface with the E36 headunit (thereby avoiding hacking the original car harness)? Thanks.
                            -MJ

Comment

MJ, no one makes a harness for the E30. Sorry.

The E36 decks are compatible with the E30 amp, but the E30 amp has a 2 channel input vs. the E36 having a 4 channel output. No big deal, but the decks fader will not work.

BTW, the easy check on your E30 having an amp is if you have tweeter pods, you have an amp.

Luke

Closing SOON!

Comment

Working...
                              X