speaker wires clarification please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

speaker wires clarification please

Need to put in an cd player to replace my Stock unit. the question is which wire is the positive on the speaker. I noticed where the wire is connected to the speaker. There is a wider and narrower connector. which one is + ve and - ve

Thanks

Ron

Ron, almost always the larger terminal is positive.

You can al;so connect a battery to the terminals...just a quick "pop". If the cone moves "out", the polarity is correct.

Luke

Closing SOON!
    "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

Luke,
      I will do the battery test to be sure. will this battery test damage the speaker?? Is 9v battery strong enough for the test ?

Thanks again.

Ron

Comment

Ron, a 9V is perfect. Of course, only do this with woofers or midranges...tweeters don't move enough to see! Most of the speakers I install stay working for many many years...so I assume no actual damage.

Luke

Closing SOON!

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Comment

nah. No damage. We do this at work all the time. Heck, even the Klippel does it by default before starting measurments.

Have you ever working with Klippel Luke? Amazing piece of junk... I mean equipment. He's coming next Friday and Saturday for training. I hear he delves into the algorithms used and such. I'm looking forward to it (plus I get paid big overtime to be there!).

Comment

Wow...something I have never heard of! WTF is Klippel? (googling now.....)

SHIT! That is cool. More intended for OEM's (which I have never dealt with) but phenominal concept...especially for reliability and failure prediction.

Should be law everywhere that every driver passes through kippeling before shipment.

Chris, would you save me all of the info you can and get it to me? Please?

Luke

Closing SOON!

Comment

isnt everything with a brown stripe negative?

Comment

well, the presentation he's giving tomorrow and Saturday is around 200 slides in powerpoint. So yeah, I can get plenty of info.

Apparently, this guy is the top tier in audio at the moment. Spoke with a fried of his at work for awhile today and he apparently made the Klippel measurement machine for his work on a DSP chip that will remove (via inverse waves) built in distortion in speakers (in the motor structure/suspension/etc.). He's been working on it.. forever. Interesting stuff I tell yah.

Comment

Working...
                X