Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BMW E30 Pioneer KE-83 Advice

Hello,
    I have an E30-ish car, a BMW Z1. I'm seeking some options for restoring what used to work nicely. I bought the car without the factory radio, it came with some Sony Flashy radio that I simply didn't think went with the car.

So, I bought a KE-83, and added the CD changer in the trunk. For several years, all was well. One of the LED faded in the display, no biggie. The CD changer died, and recently I came across an old cassette mix, and wanted to play it for nostalgia, and of course, now, it won't load cassettes.

So.... I want to take a stab at repairing this before I abandon it and go with the bigger upgrade CM5908 with BT and all that. There is a part of me that prefers the Pioneer units look, and perhaps the flexibility to run a cassette for old times sake.

I'm sure someone has played with these. The repair kit on ebay with belt for cassette drive, as well as two O rings.... could those O rings be the reason this won't load a cassette? Or is there a more common problem?

Source for LED or bulb I need to fix the display?
    Anyone send out the Pioneer Changer for repair and happy with service?

Any advice appreciated.
    sigpic
    Trying to make the world a better place, 6 TB at a time.
    http://abloriginalparts.com/

RE: Update

Opened up the KE-83:

Clearly the belts are trashed, hoping the Ebay seller's kit will refresh this, and return to operable. All three are gooey rubber messes.

Still considering CM5908 or 07 options as my car is two channel anyway.

RE: Update 2

Ebay online vendor sold me the 3 belt kit for this, and it went in VERY easily, clearly this has restored the mechanical aspect of taking in and ejecting the cassette, and the belts fit nicely. Same vendor pointed me towards the bulbs I need, and I've taken the radio apart further to remove the LED board and its backlight section. I will probably tackle that next, it doesn't look to be that hard. I'm going to replace all three so they match. At the very least I can restore the Z1 to cassette and lighting working... I'm not sure what failed on the truck CD player... Have to find it, then open it up. Can hope its a belt?
    Last edited by M3 euro ltw; 08-13-2019, 09:41 PM. Reason: Update
    sigpic

Comment

Repair went very well. Only precaution I would add is that the white hoods that fit over the backlighting 3 bulbs are delicate after 30 years, and glued well to the back of the board, Take your time to scrape them off their base before trying to lift the old bulb and hood off.
      sigpic

Comment

Working...
      X