proper amp for JL 10w3v2-D4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

proper amp for JL 10w3v2-D4

The sub is rated at 300w rms and i'm looking for a decent amp to run with it, I'd prefer something under $200 if that's possible, I'm no bassphile, but I need all of my frequencies ;) right now I have it running off of a 150w rms amp (it's been one day) that I thought was 250w rms ...I was wondering why it sounded no better than a friend's 10w0

Sony two channels like this one are a good deal. Not your high end definition amplifier, but does the job well. Just installed one in my friends integra using a Rockford Fosgate 12" Dual Voice Coil 4 ohm. The sub has the same rating as yours.
    Heres an Ebay link:

Cheap and reliable so far. Make sure it is wired correctly the first time. Another buddy fried out the same amp cause he had a short in the wiring :roll:

Also make sure that the RCA input is balanced mono, or else youll mess up a DVC subwoofer.

Comment

You can always turn it down :

I don't know about you, but I would have no problems running that amp with that sub in my car. Seems clean enough to overpower it a bit.

Comment

Avionixx over x-plod any day. X-plods are cheap, unreliable, built bad, and the numbers sony puts out are wrong (like most companies).

97 Cosmos M3

Comment

150 rms is too little power. DIdnt they give you that little chart?

Mines on a 300rms 600wmax Pioneer.

Sold it.

Comment

I ended up picking up a rockford fosgate power 350s, and I'm returning the sub for a dual 2 ohm voice coil instead of a dual 4. So I'll be running 350w rms to my 300w rms sub, which is pretty close, and I'm happy with the way it should turn out. Right now with the dual 4 ohm voice coils I'm running at 175w off of the amp... I don't care if the woofer gets damaged, but will running with an 8 ohm load damage the amp somehow? I'm guessing no, because it's stable at 4 ohm stereo... which would be the same as 8 ohm mono

also, what's the deal with the RCA inputs? They're coming off of the rear speaker pre-amp in the head unit, should I convert the signal to mono before the amp? am I damaging the amp right now?
            thanks, sorry.. I've never really been into subwoofers and everything, still learning

Comment

also, with my new amp, i have a very high pitched whine that goes along with engine RPM. I'm guessing that it's some kind of alternator weakness problem, because I haven't changed any wiring since the previous amp. Plus, the sub doesn't hit that frequency. And it's not just my front right speakers picking up noise from the ECU. I thiink that it got worse when I turned on the headlights, could be the placebo effect though. Thanks stereo-people

Comment

Originally posted by Bryson

also, what's the deal with the RCA inputs? They're coming off of the rear speaker pre-amp in the head unit, should I convert the signal to mono before the amp? am I damaging the amp right now?
                thanks, sorry.. I've never really been into subwoofers and everything, still learning
                Your amp should have a high pass or low pass filter which will cut off the unessecary frequencies from reaching your sub.

As for the voice coil stuff

Sold it.

Comment

the amp is on low pass, and the whine is there when the stereo is paused, but there is no whine if it is turned off.
                  I've got the series-parallel stuff down, if only my amp was stable at 2 ohms bridged, I'd be running my 4 ohm DVC in parallel. It's not a monoblock though, so 1ohm per side is a bit much.
                  Thanks for all your help

Comment

Alternator whine is caused by bad grounding.

Sold it.

Comment

If the head unit is grounded badly, will it make it whine? Because it sounds like it's coming from my front tweeters which are running off of the HU. I also never get any dimming when the bass hits or anything, for reference. I tested my alternator and with AC on, lows, highs, emergency flashers, and the sub turned up it put out 12.3V so I should be alright there.
                      you're my stereo guru, man. thanks

Comment

If its just your fronts running of the deck (which is weird for staging) then I would assume the deck ground is bad.

Thankfully I have never got alternator whine so I don't really know how to fix it exactly. Just know what causes it. A few guys over on maxbimmer are plagued by it.

Sold it.

Comment

I think I may have found the whining problem... my tweeters have magnets that are too big for the factory space and they are grounding out onto the chassis. I went through all of my grounds and ran new 10ga wires to the head unit and everything and it still whines. So today I'll swap in some stock tweeters and re-check for problems

my sub has a weird problem with making noise while the head unit is on pause, and it makes a 'pop' noise when I turn off the car :? I'm friggin baffled as my RCAs are sheilded and all my power wires are supplying ample power/current. I'll wait for the new dual 2ohm VC woofer to come in, then I'll troubleshoot that problem

Comment

I forget what causes that I'll look it up.

Edit: http://www.caraudioforum.com/showthr...=turn+on+thump

Sold it.

Comment

Originally posted by BMW BMXER
                              Alternator whine is caused by bad grounding.
                              Alternator whine can be caused by running RCA cables next to power cable.

You might want to try grounding your RCAs to get rid of distortion and whining.
                              Originally posted by Gruelius
                              and i do not know what bugg brakes are.

Comment

Working...
                              X