Midbass speaker options

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Midbass speaker options

The M3 door panels I bought a few years ago have some custom speaker pods built in that replace the map pockets. They hold something like a 6 1/2" or 6 3/4" speaker and I'd like to put in a midbass since the e30 sound systems really lack a full sound.

I was looking at these two Kickers from Crutchfield...

Click here

Any other options that might hit a bit harder but in about the same price range?
    Thanks.
    -Brandon
    '86 325es S50
    '12 VW GTI Autobahn DSG
    '03 540i M-Sport (sold)
    '08 Jeep SRT-8 (sold)

For sale:
    S50 TMS chip for Schricks

got a pic of the pods...
    are they sealed...

i can recommend some GREAT drivers to stick in there but i would need to know what you have to work with first...

what are you powering them with

Comment

Without know anything more about your specific application.. here is a recommendation

Adire Audio Koda 6 sound awesome and hit HARD... may want to look into these... i wouldnt run them off the headunit amp tho...

Comment

I'll post some pictures of the pods tonight. The pods pretty much just open up into the inside of the doors (not sealed), I could probably install some baffles if needed. I'll have to measure the exact size of the hole tonight, 6 3/4" might be a little too big.

I'd probably get an Alpine V12 amp, something around 80-100 W x 2. I also need ones that come with speaker grilles because they tend to get kicked a lot when getting out of the car.

Adire Audio Koda 6 sound awesome and hit HARD... may want to look into these... i wouldnt run them off the headunit amp tho...
        Never heard of Adire Audio before, do you have some of their speakers?
        -Brandon
        '86 325es S50
        '12 VW GTI Autobahn DSG
        '03 540i M-Sport (sold)
        '08 Jeep SRT-8 (sold)

For sale:

Comment

i personally dont have them...

but they are very well respected in the sound quality competition circles... alot of the SQ guys dont go for off the shelf car stereo speakers like you find at crutchfield (which is way over priced btw)

i dont think you would be disapointed with the koda 6 at all...

you could always get grills seperatly

Comment

I was trying to figure this out today, where are speaker sizes measured from? The surround? The edge of the grill? I thought that the opening in the pod was larger, I guess I'll have to dremel it open a bit more. What size speaker would you say this grill is from?

Here are pictures of the pods...

-Brandon
            '86 325es S50
            '12 VW GTI Autobahn DSG
            '03 540i M-Sport (sold)
            '08 Jeep SRT-8 (sold)

For sale:

Comment

It'd be a 6.5" speaker that would fit in there; based upon your dimensions.

You might want to consider some MB Quarts. They have a pair of 6.5" woofers that are a 'add a woofer' system. They come with their own crossovers so you can easily integrate them into a pre-existing component system. Of you might want to consider just buying a component set and moving the 5.25" set to the rear deck.

Don't buy anything from Crutchfield. They're a rip off.
              Originally posted by Gruelius
              and i do not know what bugg brakes are.

Comment

Well, I'm going to keep both sets of 5 1/4" components running off the deck because my Alpine head unit is 60x4 Watts, so they get plenty of juice. MB Quarts can be pretty darn expensive too, especially if they come with a crossover, which I really don't need because my headunit has a 2-way / 3-way active crossover built in. I'll check into the MB Quarts anyway though. I'm kind of interested in those Audiophile Koda 6s right now.
                -Brandon
                '86 325es S50
                '12 VW GTI Autobahn DSG
                '03 540i M-Sport (sold)
                '08 Jeep SRT-8 (sold)

For sale:

Comment

Originally posted by Beej '86 325es
                  Well, I'm going to keep both sets of 5 1/4" components running off the deck because my Alpine head unit is 60x4 Watts, so they get plenty of juice. MB Quarts can be pretty darn expensive too, especially if they come with a crossover, which I really don't need because my headunit has a 2-way / 3-way active crossover built in. I'll check into the MB Quarts anyway though. I'm kind of interested in those Audiophile Koda 6s right now.
                  Your Alpine deck would be lucky to put out 60x4 with 1/0 power cable going to it. Those ratings such idealizations. Peak power really doesn't mean anything, you want to look at RMS power. I'm assuming your deck is probably putting out something in the realm of 22-25 watts RMS into 4 ohms. And the quality of that power is also debatable. In short, if you're serious about car audio, don't run a component set off of deck power.
                  Which component sets do you have?
                  Which Alpine head-unit do you have? I'd be interested to check out the active crossover feature.
                  Originally posted by Gruelius
                  and i do not know what bugg brakes are.

Comment

Your Alpine deck would be lucky to put out 60x4 with 1/0 power cable going to it. Those ratings such idealizations. Peak power really doesn't mean anything, you want to look at RMS power. I'm assuming your deck is probably putting out something in the realm of 22-25 watts RMS into 4 ohms. And the quality of that power is also debatable. In short, if you're serious about car audio, don't run a component set off of deck power.
                    Which component sets do you have?
                    True, I couldn't remember what it was RMS, I think it's 26 W. The model is 9813, they recommend that a dedicated 10 gauge wire be run to the deck to power it. Looking at crutchfield's website, they must have stopped selling it, but I imagine any of the models with the MOSFET60 amp have the crossovers. This looks like a comparable one:

It's definitely by far the most powerful deck I've ever heard, and much better quality than my old Eclipse. My front components are Massive Audio -- I go them because my stock tweeters blew out and they were being offered at an introductory price of $100 at a local shop. The rears are just the OEM components. I really don't want to get too nuts with the stereo though, I was really into it all my early years of college, but lost interest when I started doing performance mods. :)
                    -Brandon
                    '86 325es S50
                    '12 VW GTI Autobahn DSG
                    '03 540i M-Sport (sold)
                    '08 Jeep SRT-8 (sold)

For sale:

Comment

Working...
                    X