best location for mids and new setup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

best location for mids and new setup

I am in the process of planning my next stereo install.. right now my stereo consists of

RE RE components with the mids in fiberglassed pods in the kickpanels, but hardly angled at all due to laziness, and the tweeters in the stock location. a 12" RE SE in a 1.3 cu ft sealed enclosure in the trunk. a 500x1 memphis m-class amp on the sub and a 150x2 memphis m-class amp on the components.

i am now considering many different setups for a change up. right now i am leaning towards fiberglassing 2 10's into the rear seat firing back at an angle towards the rear window, sort of parallel with the rear seatback. that way i can overcome the e30 issues of getting bass into the cabin :) (any suggestions on subs here, thinking about 2 10W7's, looking for around 500 watts on each).

my main issue is what to do with my mids though. not care and drop 5.25s in the stock location, expand the stock location for 6.5's, fiberglass kickpanels again (although i'd rather not do this due to the space it takes up), or fiberglass pods to go onto the door panels. i could also use some component suggestions as well.

basically cost isnt really an issue, and neither is difficulty of the install, i dont really know what i'm doing, but ive made due so far :drink:
    Last edited by niqnak; 12-21-2006, 07:01 PM.

yeah kickpanel pods aren't really much of an option in our e30's, there just isn't enough space and too much stuff in the way. ie glovebox and hood release. I think the doors are a good spot if you can recess the magnet into the door some (there is room). i have 4's mounted directly into the door card right now, but they need to be in a sealed enclosure because they aren't picking up the low end at the moment.

here is my plan, whether its a good one or not is up in the air. i am going to pick up some CDT m6's 6.5 inch for mids. I am going to remove the door card directly behind my pods and see how much space i have to work w/ inside the door to keep the speaker about flush w/ where the map pocket is. ideally i'd like to seal my 6.5 and 4 in seperate airspace. that would put all my speakers relatively close together and hopefully improve the shitty midbass of the kickpanel. i am sure someone else will chime in. I don't really know what i am talking about but thats my plan anyway.

Comment

right now it seems to me that the best choice is to make a doorpod to replace the map pocket. seems like it would leave a good amount of airspace for a sealed midrange speaker as well.

Comment

do you care about stealth look?
        '96 328is
        '97 m3
        '04 zhp

Comment

How are those RE's?

I had my CDT 6.5's in the stock location, deadened and slightly angled on MDF baffles and they were pretty good.
          I wanted to build kickpods but space and laziness stopped me, so I've considering gutting my map pockets and mounting components there.

Comment

Originally posted by 808BMW View Post
            How are those RE's?

I had my CDT 6.5's in the stock location, deadened and slightly angled on MDF baffles and they were pretty good.
            I wanted to build kickpods but space and laziness stopped me, so I've considering gutting my map pockets and mounting components there.
            i am after some CDT m6's. yeah i'd like to hear a door pod setup but i know ken liked his CDT's in that location.

Comment

I was thinking of tweeters in the stock location, Mids in a cool speaker pod I came across in the British Ebay site, about $125 delivered to US, and maybe some kind of 8" free air subs in the side walls (I have a convertible).
              How does that sound, no pun intended...
              sigpic
              WTB-Strut Bar

Comment

Originally posted by Aerton View Post
                I was thinking of tweeters in the stock location, Mids in a cool speaker pod I came across in the British Ebay site, about $125 delivered to US, and maybe some kind of 8" free air subs in the side walls (I have a convertible).
                How does that sound, no pun intended...
                show us this speaker pod you speak of.

Comment

Originally posted by DrMcDave View Post
                  show us this speaker pod you speak of.

Here you go... nice???
                  sigpic
                  WTB-Strut Bar

Comment

looks decent wonder what its like in person. its not like 125 is going to make you broke, and by the time you make that you'll end up spending 125 worth of supplies and man hours easily. I have a 4 inch speaker as well so i think i am stuck w/ fabrication.

Comment

Originally posted by 808BMW View Post
                      How are those RE's?

the RE's sound good, i have been very happy with them. i think i decided the way i am going to go and what seems to me to be the best possible setup in our cars, but expensive

im going to be running a dynaudio system360 component set, i am going to build a kickpod for the tweeter and the midrange (dome style 3" midrange), since its a dome style midrange i dont have to worry about sealing up the pod or anything, and the kickpod can be very small as well as easy to aim. then i will glass an enclosure to replace the map pocket for the 8" midbass. i will then glass a 15" SI Mag into the rear seat aiming whatever way i find out sounds best with a temp box. in the trunk i will have a memphis belle running across a false wall in the rear of the trunk.

i dont know when i am going to get all the money together to do this, gotta do an M50 swap first, but im hoping for this summer.

Comment

So on a convertible has anyone mounted any subs on the side panes where the speakers mount?? And how about the a post where I saw 2 12" subs hacked into the rear wall at the bottom?? Is that good??
                        sigpic
                        WTB-Strut Bar

Comment

This panel looks funny to me. Is this for a 'vert?
                          Once upon a time, I had a M3 that had speaker pods where the "pocket" would be. There was nothing in them, but they looked cool. Space for a pair of 4" I think. Anyone ever seen/heard of these?

Comment

Working...
                          X