Newbie Sub Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbie Sub Question

What is needed to hook up a 10" sub? Do you have to run an amplifire or will a good headunit run one without problems? Thanks.

Andrew

you must run it off an amp

Comment

No headunit will be able to power a sub properly. You might want to look for a mono amp for it.
      Originally posted by Gruelius
      and i do not know what bugg brakes are.

Comment

Ok, that is what I figured. What is a "mono amp" exactly? Any sugestions on what one. Not looking for the best, but somehting good.

Andrew

Comment

Originally posted by NitroRustlerDriver
          Ok, that is what I figured. What is a "mono amp" exactly? Any sugestions on what one. Not looking for the best, but somehting good.

Andrew
          A mono amp is an amplifier that amplifies only one channel. I'm not sure of any companies that make a decent one, my appologies.

Comment

Ok, thanks. Anyone know of a good one?

Andrew

Comment

Actually Rockford Fosgate makes some decent ones. Check eBay out.

Comment

Actually, a nice route for a newbie like you might be an Infinity Basslink, which is a combo enclosure/amp/10" sub. Relatively simple to wire.

Details:

My mountains are better than yours.

Comment

Have you ever heard one of those basslinks? I'm just wondering if they're decent. I've heard the bazooka tubes, and I don't really like them.

Comment

fuck all that all in one nonsense. how much are you willing to spend. my system is going in at the begining of june. If you have about a grand, here's what to do. First off, do the install yourself, of get a friend to help, that's what cost the most pretty much. Go to a local audio shop that sells JL Audio. There's nothing better. Get yourself a JL Audio 500/1 amp ($575) and 2 JL 10W3's ($440) and a box ($75) and a wiring kit for the amp ($50) and do it yourself. That's the best system for your money. If you dont get something like that youll end up upgrading to that in a short time, and waste money on a shitty system. Good Luck,
                    Dan

Comment

Originally posted by DanGillan
                      JL Audio. There's nothing better.
                      Hardly. JL makes quality subwoofers. They'll give you the best 'bang for your buck.' If you want something that's loud, go with JL. If you want something that will give you the most accurate reproduction of bass, go with a/d/s/ or Focal.

Originally posted by DanGillan
                      Get yourself a JL Audio 500/1 amp ($575) and 2 JL 10W3's ($440) and a box ($75) and a wiring kit for the amp ($50) and do it yourself. That's the best system for your money.
                      That's only half of a system (if that). The 10W3 is a pretty good sub. I'm not sure if I'd trust their amps, however.

Nothing makes me laugh more than someone claiming to have a nice stereo system, which turns out to be subwoofers in the trunk and stock mids all around running off of deck power.

Comment

You cant claim that one company is the best, JL is good but it all depends on what you want. There are a lot of bassfreaks that come up with some weird recipes for big bass from "middle rate" companies.

Comment

Originally posted by colt325e
                          "middle rate" companies.
                          Be sure to include kicker in that category.

Comment

Ok,s ounds great guys. The bass Link may be the way to go. This is actually for my GF, so she is not will to spend THAT much. But thanks for all the help.

Andrew

Comment

Be sure to include kicker in that category
                              hey now, my sub outbasses yours anyday :)
                              even though your the 'all around sound' type of guy anyways.

Comment

Working...
                              X