Keyless Entry Tips

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Keyless Entry Tips

I bought that kit from the "Favorite $30 Mod" Thread about 2 years ago. Never used it, so I want to put it on my Honda.

The kit is the REC-43T seen here: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=46332

I'm trying to install it on my 1994 Honda Accord. I have a diagram of the wiring and the installation is obvious. My question is...

Is it possible to make the parking lights flash and/or horn beep as well when I lock/unlock the car with THIS unit?

Diagram of Accord seen here:
    Estoril E36 M3/4/5 | Toledo E53 X5 3.0 | LeMans E90 335D M-Sport

In your Accordian, you should find a 2 pin plug, not connected to anything. Wires should be something like black/white and orange. This plug is your door lock inputs. You will find this plug tucked under the dash, wrapped in blue electrical tape, or under the drivers' kick panel.

These wires are NOT controlled by the drivers door, so to test, either pulse with a ground OR use a testlight, but use the passenger door to test.

Remember you cannot lock the drivers' door unless you trick it into thinking it is closed, or hold the handle open.

Catch your light flash on the fuse block. One of the open terminals has "undimmed" parking light connection...use it with a 1/4" spade lug.

GL!
    Luke

Closing SOON!
    "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

It is indeed possible to have it chirp your horn and flash your lights, depending on your mode.
      I don't have an Accord -- rather, I have a Dodge Ram Van, and the REC-43T set to the mode where it sends a timed pulse (About half a second, similar to a human finger pressing the switch).

Rather than having the 12v pulse from the unit go through the locks, you'd want to have the 12v pulse activate a series of relays, each activating a different function (This also helps if your power locks use +12v, while the unit sends -12v)

You can pick up a standard 12v relay at Radioshack. I'd have to double-check, but I'm pretty sure you'd have the output from the REC-43T going to one "coil" terminal, the other "coil" terminal gets grounded, or goes to the next relay coil, or whatever. Then, you'd tap the "Normally Open" terminal to into the wiring for the horn or whatever you want. I can't remember all the details, I'd have to pull out my unit to see.

To summarize, the 12v pulse will activate the relays, which will close the 'normally open', which activates those wires. If you need help, let me know...

I plan on doing it to my car this week, I'll take pictures if it'll help.

If you need me:
      MSN: ahanix@gmail.com
      AIM: ahanix1989
      Yahoo: ahanix1989

Comment

Originally posted by StereoInstaller1 View Post
        ... OR use a testlight, but use the passenger door to test...
        Every howto luke posts involves a test light. Really it's the best 3$ tool for working on the electrics. Honestly, I use it more than my 150$ fluke. Now I just got to get one of the nice snakes luke uses instead of my collection of coat hangers.

Comment

Okay, I looked a little further, getting proper terms.

You'd want to wire up a relay like this:
          Pin 85: -12v output on REC-43T
          Pin 86: Ground
          Pin 30: +12v for horn, light, whatever.
          Pin 87: Other wire for horn, light, whatever.

Let's take the horn as the example. It's just a circuit: Battery to switch to horn, grounded back to battery. The switch is your button on your steering wheel. You want the relay to be connected to both sides of switch, so it also acts as a switch, closing the connection when it gets a 12v pulse from the REC-43t.

Here's a little diagram to prevent confusion, if this is the wiring coming off the horn on the steering wheel:

Comment

Awesome on the follow-up. Thanks, and I'll have to look into it soon.

Comment

Originally posted by ahanix1989 View Post
              Okay, I looked a little further, getting proper terms.

You'd want to wire up a relay like this:
              Pin 85: -12v output on REC-43T
              Pin 86: Ground
              Pin 30: +12v for horn, light, whatever.
              Pin 87: Other wire for horn, light, whatever.

Let's take the horn as the example. It's just a circuit: Battery to switch to horn, grounded back to battery. The switch is your button on your steering wheel. You want the relay to be connected to both sides of switch, so it also acts as a switch, closing the connection when it gets a 12v pulse from the REC-43t.

Here's a little diagram to prevent confusion, if this is the wiring coming off the horn on the steering wheel:
              You seem like the kind of guy who likes to help, so don't take this as me being a dick, but you have a few things wrong.

OK, so here are a few issues.

1. Horn wire is ground to activate. Most every horn on every car is ground triggered, too.
              2. Honda horns already have a relay, so no additional relay is required if the system has a 500mA output, which is typical.
              3. Most all keyless sytems have a +12V light flash output, there is a terminal on his fuseblock with a parking light tap point.

And...on your relay diagram, you show pin 85 as negative trigger from the keyless. OK fine, but you show pin 86 as needing a ground....gonna need +12V somewhere, right?

Topless, your Honda should take you about 20 minuites to install that keyless with locks, lights and horn.

It really is that easy of a car to do.

Luke

Closing SOON!

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Comment

You're absolutely right, I did have it wrong.
                I wrote that before actually attempting it. 7½ hours later (dammit), I found the horn on my van is WAY too loud to use for a chirp, and I did not know it used the ground... learn something new every day, etc.

While most cars have a relay for the horn and lights already, for me... that's 18 feet straight from the REC-43T. Hiding the wire, closer to 25 feet -- not an easy task going from the very back to the absolute front, and the fuse block is a bitch to get access to.

I suppose it all depends on your specific vehicle wiring, I tapped mine into the wiring under the dashboard, by the kickpanel.

Since some people here are more knowledgeable about relays than I am (that's not me being sarcastic, I only have the most basic idea of how to use them), I'll just leave it at "You can easily hook up lights and horn chirp with the REC-43T -- I did it myself".

Only difficulty you might reach is, just sending the pulse down long enough to have the lights actually... illuminate... might make for an unusually long horn chirp... and your horn may be too loud to effectively use for a chirp.

StereoInstaller1, thank you for correcting me, it helps me learn from my mistakes.... just like when I grabbed the business end of a soldering iron (Always look when reaching) and melted part of my 17" widescreen monitor/tv (Always look when soldering). I learn from my mistakes, and people help me along the way.

Comment

Yeah, horn beep can be pretty obnoxious for locking your car up.

You could buy a little buzzer at Radio Shack instead. Should make a little beep, audible even from inside the car.

Luke

Closing SOON!

Comment

While your wiring will obviously be different, here's how mine looks: (I suck at soldering, leave me alone :( )

Folder 1 is my original setup, just activates the locks.
                    Folder 2 is my work last night, it'll also flash the lights.
                    I'll make a video showing how it looks when it gets dark enough... with my master PC wrecked, I can't use firewire, so it'll be lower quality.

lol, butterfly: RKE with Lights: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXDIO5wcEe4
                    Last edited by ahanix1989; 05-24-2007, 05:04 PM.

Comment

Would this keyless entry system be capable of pulling off the remote start. I noticed that the diagram I posted has "starter" on it and I was wondering if the 12V pulse from this keyless system was powerful/long enough to start the car as well?

Comment

Originally posted by ToplessE30 View Post
                        Would this keyless entry system be capable of pulling off the remote start. I noticed that the diagram I posted has "starter" on it and I was wondering if the 12V pulse from this keyless system was powerful/long enough to start the car as well?
                        Remote start is easily an option with most keyless systems, but would require a seperate module.

You need to control far more than just simply cranking over the motor.

I sell a decent keyless/start/alarm combo that most anyone can install.

Luke

Closing SOON!

Comment

Originally posted by StereoInstaller1 View Post
                          Remote start is easily an option with most keyless systems, but would require a seperate module.

You need to control far more than just simply cranking over the motor.

I sell a decent keyless/start/alarm combo that most anyone can install.

Luke
                          How much do you charge? I'm wanting to install this $30 kit that everyone has, but I don't know how much its capable of performing. I looked around my Accord and I found the lock/unlock only on the door harness. When i looked under the steering column I couldn't find them. Where would be the best place to locate this unit in my accord if I want to enable parking lights to blink?

Comment

Back in the day when I was installing, we would fight over jobs like this.

Eaaasy money...
                            Originally posted by Simon S
                            When a dream is a dream for too long - it becomes a fantasy..

Comment

Originally posted by SuperDuper View Post
                              Back in the day when I was installing, we would fight over jobs like this.

Eaaasy money...
                              I just wish I had more experience w/ it because once you get the hang of it, I'm sure its not bad at all. Wiring is one of those things that is really good to know something about.

Comment

Working...
                              X