Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OBC dead, kaput.... easy question

Hello,

I am (like quite a few people) replacing some the bulbs in the dash and center console area. And, I made the (kind of common) mistake (from what I have read)of plugging the A/C buttons in the hazzard plug. Like normal it blew the adjustment in the headlight switch for dimming the dash lights. No problem. I took the switch apart and removed the pot and soldered a wire to connect the two legs internally to always have the dash lights on bright. My problem is; The OBC does not light up at all. Does not come on at all. Key in the on position. It worked fine the otherday. I put the LEDs in the OBC for the back light. It all tested fine. Now it does nothing. The one thing I hope it is; I do not have the Gauge cluster in the car. I do not remember if the gauge cluster was in the car the other day when it worked. Does the gauge cluster have to be plugged in to activate th OBC? Please say yes, well, only if t is true. Or, can you tell me where to go next? I am going to try plugging in the gauges here in a little while unless someone tells me it doesn't matter.
    They ae out waiting for the SI batteries to come in.
    Also, there is a small connector behind the gauges. The connector is square on one side and rounded (hex) on the other. It matches a couple of recepticals on the back of the gauges. Does anyone know where it goes? Thanks -Ron
    sigpic
    Aston Martin in flight at Mid Ohio 2006

Ok, Well. I plugged the gauges in at lunch and the OBC came on.
    So, for future reference. Yes, the gauges must be plugged in for the OBC to
    operate.
    sigpic
    Aston Martin in flight at Mid Ohio 2006

Comment

To expand on this:
      Most of the signals to the OBC are wired through the instrument cluster. The wiring harness plugs into the back of the instrument cluster, with bundles that split off to connect to the gong and the relay box.

There is a taped-back yellow wire with a connector near the OBC end of the harness. This mystery wire is used for an alarm-clock-like feature that turns on the engine (or is it just the electric heater core pump?) at a programmed time. If you rotate the switch on the back of the OBC you'll find that the "timer" button now sets the wake-up time.

Another bit of useless trivia: the dash widget that looks like a microphone cover is temperature sensor vent the rare electronic temperature control.

Both of these features are somewhere between extremely rare and drawing-board-only.

Comment

i always thought that little microphone like thing was listening in to my conversations....good to know

"There is a taped-back yellow wire with a connector near the OBC end of the harness. This mystery wire is used for an alarm-clock-like feature that turns on the engine (or is it just the electric heater core pump?) at a programmed time. If you rotate the switch on the back of the OBC you'll find that the "timer" button now sets the wake-up time."

and esplain more
        Last edited by Mr Deagle; 04-20-2007, 05:05 PM.

Comment

Working...
        X