Help me keep stock look but upgrade sound quality

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help me keep stock look but upgrade sound quality

I currently have the stock cass deck in my 91 318i, I don't care too much about having a CD changer or not, I prefer to use an MP3 player so an 1/8th inch AUX input would be perfect.

I would consider new(ew) OEM deck, small sub, amp, and speaker upgrades. I would like to keep it relatively low budget because I don't see the utility of investing big money in a $2500 car.

I have limited experience with amps, and I don't know what the stock deck I have has for input/outputs on it so I don't know if a amp would work with the stock deck, any help would be appreciated.
    1991 318i (RIP) / 1996 Dakota / 2000 2.5RS

Would either the C33 or the C43 decks be a noticeable upgrade over my stock unit?

Comment

crickets....

How can I hook an amp up to a stock deck?

Comment

change your deck first man, then see how you like your highs. once you change your deck, it will make life a lot easier for ANY other audio upgrades. otherwise, you are going to be dealing w/ line output convertors to add an aftermarket amp (which will still sound like crap, just louder crap). In order to get a form of an input, you will have to use an fm modulater, which sounds like crap as well. The deck is your weakpoint, change it.

Comment

Originally posted by automatic View Post
          I currently have the stock cass deck in my 91 318i, I don't care too much about having a CD changer or not, I prefer to use an MP3 player so an 1/8th inch AUX input would be perfect.

I would consider new(ew) OEM deck, small sub, amp, and speaker upgrades. I would like to keep it relatively low budget because I don't see the utility of investing big money in a $2500 car.

I have limited experience with amps, and I don't know what the stock deck I have has for input/outputs on it so I don't know if a amp would work with the stock deck, any help would be appreciated.
          There is thread on the board refering to the CD43 as a possible mate to the E30. stereoinstaller knows the solution. Also m42club.com

Comment

I have bought a C43 off someone on bimmerforums, I believe I am going to need the BHO8590 and BAA11 adapters for this to work correct? Should I get an amp for this setup or will the C43 be adequate. My car does not have the premium auto system so if I do need an amp how would I wire it in?

Comment

Your C43 will run speakers directly, but it will be unhappy and likely short lived.

Speakers are much (massively) harder to drive than amplifiers.

There are many simple trick to make an amp install easy on these cars, whether it is a stock deck or not. I am going to find another E30 to build for my son. We will use the stock E30 deck as a pre-amp for his Samsung T9 4GB MP3 player (best sounding little POS I have heard yet).

The stock decks are actually very good performers if set up correctly. As will your CD43...but use it to feed an amp, not just speakers.

What you want is a small 4 channel with 2 important features:
              1. Make sure it has 6 RCA jacks...one pair will be an output, so if you decide to subwoof, you will have a "mixed" signal.

2. Make sure it has variable high and low crossovers.

GL!
              Luke

Closing SOON!
              "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

Originally posted by StereoInstaller1 View Post
                There are many simple trick to make an amp install easy on these cars, whether it is a stock deck or not. I am going to find another E30 to build for my son. We will use the stock E30 deck as a pre-amp for his Samsung T9 4GB MP3 player (best sounding little POS I have heard yet).
                What is my best bet to install an amp with my c43. Should I use a line out converter or is there a way to utilize what I believe is an amp output on the back of the deck with an aftermarket amp?

Comment

Working...
                X