• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Speedometers

Can i Use an I cluster in an E?
    1989 Turbo 325is
    87 ETA Dinan Stg 2

Ya, but if your going from an e to an i cluster, if i remember correctly the tach wont read correctly. It will just look like you are going 7000k rpm instead of 5000k. It wont correctly read your engines 5k with the Tach's 5k.

i am not sure how if u can to fix this.
    Dan Zickel
    1995 M3, 1991 318iS, 1987 325iS

Comment

i believe you can.

Comment

Originally posted by E30Driv3R View Post
        from anya, but if your going e to an i cluster, if i remember correctly the tach wont read correctly. It will just look like you are going 7000k rpm instead of 5000k. It wont correctly read your engines 5k with the Tach's 5k.

i am not sure how if u can to fix this.
        he just wants the speedo i think, and i believe they are interchangeable.

Comment

What year is the cluster's? 12/85 and back are different and use a code plug where 1/86 and up use a chip

1992 BMW 325iC
          1978 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
          1965 Chevrolet Corvair Monza 140hp

Comment

yeah, trip is broke in my E and I would like to know what type of miles i am driving on a take of gas. I have an Extra I cluster, just didnt feel like going through the trouble if it wasnt going to work
            1989 Turbo 325is
            87 ETA Dinan Stg 2

Comment

it is an 87 model, dont know the production date off hand
              1989 Turbo 325is
              87 ETA Dinan Stg 2

Comment

oh....and the other speedo came out of a 89
                1989 Turbo 325is
                87 ETA Dinan Stg 2

Comment

You'll have to use your chip out of the e cluster for the i tach to work. It is located on the lower right front of the cluster.

1992 BMW 325iC
                  1978 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
                  1965 Chevrolet Corvair Monza 140hp

Comment

if you take apart the clusters, you can stuff the i speedo in your e cluster

Comment

The way to tell if clusters are compatible is to look at the engine warning lights at the bottom center of the cluster. Some clusters have 3 lights, some just have one. All clusters with 3 lights are interchangeable, and all clusters with 1 light are interchangeable, no matter if they are MotoMeter or VDO.

In order to make an "i" cluster work with an "e" engine, all you have to do is put the coding plug from the "e" tach into the "i" tach. It's that simple.

Now I'm not sure, but I think you can only swap 6 cylinder coding plugs for 6 cylinder coding plugs and 4 cylinder coding plugs for 4 cylinder coding plugs. I.E. - Putting the coding plug from an 325i into an M3 tach won't make it work for the 6 cylinder motor. I could be wrong on this.

James, you did this swap, what did you do?

Comment

Speaking of clusters are the VDO and MotoMeter clusters interchangeable? I bought a Moto cluster because it had the white background and not realizing that it was not the same thing as the VDO unit that I have in my car now.

Comment

i swapped an entire canadian "i" cluster into my 86 "e". I had no problems at all. Only thing that was obviously different was the fact that real redline was a tad bit lower than my gauge claimed :)

Comment

Working...
                          X