speaker ?????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

speaker ?????

I am new to this guys, I have a 300 watt pioneer amp, I also have a Pioneer deck that says it is 50wattx4. I want to put 6x9 in the rear, 5.25 in the kick panels and i am not sure what size the tweeters behind the mirror are , i think 1.5". with this info can anyone here tell me what watt speakers i should use in the rear, kick panels and for the tweeters?
    thanks for any help here , i just want it to be crisp and set up for the best possible performance for what i have.
    cheers
    Larry

Hi Larry.

OK, so here is the deal.

Wattage is totally meaningless, totally. trying to match sound via wattage ratings is absolutely impossible. Might as well use a dartboard...seriously.

Here is a quick example of why: If you feed the front speakers the same power as the rear speakers, the fronts will be barely audible.

That is because the front speaker location is very weak, accoustically, and the rear fairly efficient. This is one of the banes of the E30's interior.

If you run a 4 channel amp (you said 300 watts, but not what it is) you can easily balance the front and rear levels to make a decent "front soundstage".

If your amp is a 2 channel, use it on the fronts. 6X9's are generally incredibly efficient, and the rear deck is a very efficient location...so if you ran a pair of "by nines" in the back, you would have no hope of hearing the front speakers.

So, how you set up the system is logically dependent on what you want for sound, how you prefer to listen, what equipment you have, how it is installed, etc.

Feel free to post exact specifics of what you have vs. what you want.

Luke

Closing SOON!
    "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

To branch off his question Luke, (hope u dont mind Larry), When I sit in my 318i that I just acquired, the first thing I notice like u said, is that the front soundstage is barely noticeable, almost like its not even there... Its all stock... what can I do to "even" out the sound, so it doesnt sound like it's only coming from the rear?

-Evan
      Last edited by Majikal; 05-20-2007, 02:20 PM.

Comment

maybe move the fade closer to the front to limit the amount of sound coming from the rear.
        My 2.9L Build!

Originally posted by Ernest Hemingway
        There are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games.

Comment

did that, but then it just sounds quiet, the rear speakers are just dominant, lol.

Comment

which speakers? how many watts??? specs are here.

hi guys, the amp is a pioneer gm-4000f, says it has Continuous Power (4 ohm) 35W x 4 hope this info along with the headunit which is a pioneer
            DEH-P3800MP head unit, 50 wx4. will help you to help me pick the speakers for the rear , kickpanels and tweeters for my 84 318i. crossing my fingers.
            thanks so much

Comment

doesnt make sense

from the info i last gave , it seems to me that my head unit has more power themn my amp?? is this right? help me here guys, i need to get my speakers so i can install this system.

Comment

youve been given more than enough info on this same thread you made on e30tech.

Comment

Originally posted by new2bmw View Post
                  from the info i last gave , it seems to me that my head unit has more power themn my amp?? is this right? help me here guys, i need to get my speakers so i can install this system.
                  Did I type all of that shit out on e30tech for nothing? WTF, man, make up your mind.

Luke

Closing SOON!
                  "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

Originally posted by new2bmw View Post
                    ok your pioneer amp runs at 35wattsx4 rms and your deck runs at 22wattsx4 rms 50w is your max not your rms

Comment

Working...
                    X