Wiring 101 - new main unit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wiring 101 - new main unit

I'm finally getting around to installing my "new" second hand Sony unit. The car came with the stock unit hanging out - I think the PO took out their aftermarket stereo and just tossed the old OEM on in.

So I want to wire it up, and have pretty much no clue. Coming out of the dash are 4 sets of speaker wires (its a cabrio, and I'm assuming those are for the 2 upfront tiny speakers and the 2 rear), a thick grey one with a probe end (that just slipped right into the Sony unit) and a variety of colored wires.

The Sony unit has a ton of colored wires, and then speaker connections for front and back, like one would usually see on a home stereo. I'm assuming I just get speaker plugs from radio shack and run the fronts together (L&R) and the backs (L&R).

What about the remainder of the colored wires? I don't have any wiring info on the Sony unit.

Thanks, Rob
    A great pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do- Walter Gagehot

#1 REWIRE
    #2 the colors wont match anyway

Seriously, let me re-emphasize Point 1.

OK, it's re-emphasized.
    My mountains are better than yours.

Comment

What's the model number on the Sony? You can get wiring diagrams off of their website I bet. I would advise you to rewire the whole thing as well. They stock wires are really bad, too high of gauge. I'd recommend that you run a new power cable (about 14 ga) to the deck if you're going to use the internal amplifer to run your speakers. I'd also run new speaker cable, but it isn't that big of a deal. If you have the premium system it may be more trouble than it's worth.
      As far as the connections between the stock wires and the wires from the new deck go, I'd just go to radio shack and pick up some male and female bullet connectors and crimp them on the ends of your wires. They'll provide a good connection and they'll be easy to remove if you wish to do so.
      Originally posted by Gruelius
      and i do not know what bugg brakes are.

Comment

You have to rewire since the common ground system used in E30's will either blow your head unit or make it sound like shit.
        Go to Home Depot and buy some 16 gauge speaker cable and run new wiring for at least the front.
        Use a multimeter to find out the wires to to rear speakers. One wire is going to be the same for both speakers, split like a Y. Cut the Y area of the wire and turn it into a | |.
        Then wire up the HU using each part of the wire as a positive or neg wire to you speakers.

Just REWIRE. Youll be hapier.

Comment

Originally posted by kencopperwheat
          What's the model number on the Sony? You can get wiring diagrams off of their website I bet. I would advise you to rewire the whole thing as well. They stock wires are really bad, too high of gauge. I'd recommend that you run a new power cable (about 14 ga) to the deck if you're going to use the internal amplifer to run your speakers. I'd also run new speaker cable, but it isn't that big of a deal. If you have the premium system it may be more trouble than it's worth.
          As far as the connections between the stock wires and the wires from the new deck go, I'd just go to radio shack and pick up some male and female bullet connectors and crimp them on the ends of your wires. They'll provide a good connection and they'll be easy to remove if you wish to do so.
          Thanks all. Rewire I will.

Its a Sony CDX-C5000X.
          A great pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do- Walter Gagehot

Comment

Working...
          X