Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sealed boot

Hi everyone
    I have a 1990 325i, with a boot that is totally sealed - no ski flap, and a compression tank at the back of the boot.
    Is it at all possible or advisable to run a sub in the boot without having to cut any metal and put any ports?
    I am really keen on installing a sub, but really apprehensive about cutting any metal.
    Thanks for any advice

Originally posted by Rushiel325 View Post
    Hi everyone
    I have a 1990 325i, with a boot that is totally sealed - no ski flap, and a compression tank at the back of the boot.
    Is it at all possible or advisable to run a sub in the boot without having to cut any metal and put any ports?
    I am really keen on installing a sub, but really apprehensive about cutting any metal.
    Thanks for any advice

If you want to rattle your trunk and have 0 bass on the inside- go for it.
    '96 328is
    '97 m3
    '04 zhp

Comment

So i'll get absolutely no bass? Have a ported box

Comment

It will be loud in the trunk. I'd make a cut out where the armrest would have been and make a sealed box airtight against it.
        '96 328is
        '97 m3
        '04 zhp

Comment

I think you'll find that if you decide to make a cut out you will actually be able to just 'tap' out the ski hole section of steel as in the E30's I've seen it's only been held in place by a few tack/spot welds.

It's fairly easy to remove, but you will need to remove the rear seat base and back to gain access to this point. I'd suggest using a coal chisel if possible also. This will create the least damage to the panel.
          My Garage :- www.cardomain.com/id/bmwturbo

Comment

Wait, why do you have an air tank in your boot?
            My 2.9L Build!

Originally posted by Ernest Hemingway
            There are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games.

Comment

Thanks for all the advise guys - but found out that that is abtually a 20 litre fuel tank at the back of my boot? There is a 55 litre on under the back seat and 20 litre one at the back of the boot.
              Not sure if this is an international standard - my car is a South African e30 (not sure if they made it here back then).
              So thats obviously something i can't remove...
              People have also suggested drilling ports into the parcel shelf....

Comment

Alpina used to makr these for e28, maybe they did for e30 and you have one of those?
                '96 328is
                '97 m3
                '04 zhp

Comment

I think they did - because on the South African forums - they say that all right-hand drive 325i's have that extra tank at the back of the boot..
                  Thats going to be a huge problem for a sub :-(

Comment

Working...
                  X