Looking into a LTW speaker box, CF?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking into a LTW speaker box, CF?

Ok, so my cool custom box is HEAVY! I want to build a new one.

CF sounds really good to me!!

Let see, 1/4in MDF then seal it with CF and make a custom fit box.
    Basically lay it up like fiber glass.

Does anyone know where to get some CF sheets that are thick and flexible?

... ...

You'd better be kidding.

You're going to buy these speakers, with heavy-ass magnets, amps, and all this shit, and actually build a LIGHTWEIGHT box out of CARBON FIBER to put it in?

"See, we're adding a little something to this month's sales contest. As you all know, first prize is a Cadillac Eldorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired."

Comment

Originally posted by e30Matt
      ... ...

You'd better be kidding.

You're going to buy these speakers, with heavy-ass magnets, amps, and all this shit, and actually build a LIGHTWEIGHT box out of CARBON FIBER to put it in?
      Nope, not a joke. My box now is 65 lbs with 2 10in Infinity Perfect 10's. It's a bitch to take out and put back in. I already have all the gear, I just want a good lighter box.

I'm also going for the bling factor since most people are doing fiber glass boxes, I want to do it in MDF and CF.

Comment

MDF and CF would be easy enough to do, if you talk to "Addissimo" he should be able to hook you up with some more info. He's all about that CF shiznit.
        My mountains are better than yours.

Comment

This place is the bomb:

McMaster-Carr is the complete source for your plant with over 595,000 products. 98% of products ordered ship from stock and deliver same or next day.

Andrew

Comment

FYI - you don't need the strenght of CF - fiberglass would be your best bet - right?
            Originally posted by Matt-B
            hey does anyone know anyone who gets upset and makes electronics?

Comment

best bet, but CF will be PIMP. check Schnazzy. I think i saw some Silver CF laying around shhhh. you didnt hear it from me.
              FOKAI DA'MA'SHI'I ENSANE GRAPPING INT.

Comment

Originally posted by george graves
                FYI - you don't need the strenght of CF - fiberglass would be your best bet - right?
                I don't need a speaker box either, but I got one.

Fiberglass is not pimp, it's played out. Who has a full CF box? NO ONE!

That web page has 1/4in sheets, there only $550 for 24x24!!

Comment

CF is expensive. I bought a pice 6x12 a while ago for about $50, and that was cheap! They hav cloth CF at McMaster though. 1/6" thick by 4" wide sold by the foot for 4.90 a ft. or 1/8" x 4" sold by the foot for 8.17 a ft. You could then use that to cover the MDF and hold it together.

Andrew

Comment

Mike, if you buy your own resins/strengtheners/hardeners/etc and some CF cloth weave adn then reinforce it yourself, it will not only be about 10-fold cheaper than that $550/24x24 sheet, but you'll also be able to customize your box better. I mean, have you ever tried to cut a 1/4" thick sheet of CF?

Comment

Originally posted by bimmerphile
                      I mean, have you ever tried to cut a 1/4" thick sheet of CF?
                      LOL It's a bitch. I chewed up a hardened steel cutting blade in about 3 inches while cutting through 1/8 thick CF. I also filled my school's tech lab full of smoke while cutting a piece on our CNC router and killed two tool steel bits in the process. That stuff is TOUGH.

Andrew

Comment

I have heard, from a buddy who does custom CF and Kevlar and Fiberglass work, that CF tends to resonate more than fiberglass-- so Fibo is probably your best bet for a light and strong box. But as someone else mentioned, watch the sub weights and see your light box become near pointless. my single 12" sub box weighs like 4 lbs and the sub is like 18.5 lbs. If you use fiberglass, use Baltec matte with it, the rigidity will increase a lot.

"BMW Style 32 Poster-Child"
                        HTTP://WWW.CLAVINZERO.COM/e30-5-lug
                        **(My Guide to E36 M3/Z3 1.9L 5-lug Swap)

Comment

oh yeah, CF is rape for cost in materials. have fun.

"BMW Style 32 Poster-Child"
                          HTTP://WWW.CLAVINZERO.COM/e30-5-lug
                          **(My Guide to E36 M3/Z3 1.9L 5-lug Swap)

Comment

correct me if im wrong, but doesnt MDF sound a whole lot better than CF? i always thought so.
                            '91 318is

Comment

Originally posted by christophbmw
                              correct me if im wrong, but doesnt MDF sound a whole lot better than CF? i always thought so.

Where have you heard a CF box?

Comment

Working...
                              X