Question on stock radio

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question on stock radio

I know nothing about stereo systems in our cars, except where the components are.
    It appears we have the CD player hookup on the back of our stock radios (I have a 1990 325). My tape deck quit working yesterday, and I am not going to spend money on getting a new head unit to listen to my ipod. Do they make something that I can plug into the CD changer plug, or do they make something that goes inline with the antenna plug?
    Thanks
    Rob

NASA MidSouth TT Director / GTS2 #018
    Mods: Coastal PS Fluid, 10w40 Oil
    Future Mods: Bosch Micro-Edge Wiper Blades, Painter's Tape, Spark Plugs, Freezer for Nutty Buddys, Adam Nitti CD's

get a fm transmiter for your ipod they are like 20 bucks
    Getting there

Comment

FM Transmitters suck.

There's a DIY somewhere that show you how to hotwire the ipod via a connector to the leads that usually go to the tape deck.

So as long as the head unit is still capable of saying TAPE then you should still be able to go this direction.
      R.I.P 07/01/09 - 04/23/10 :(

Comment

Or you can just get a cheap 4 channel amp, run them to your oem speakers, and run the ipod straight to the amp via RCA connector
        R.I.P 07/01/09 - 04/23/10 :(

Comment

I have a cd changer in my car and it uses a RCA cable to connect the actual changer to the... changers ecu/amp..? Anyways, what I did was just get a RCA to headphone jack and connect it instead of the changer and it works perfectly.
          1985 325e 2.8 Turbo VEMS

Comment

Originally posted by 92 mtechnic cabrio View Post
            FM Transmitters suck.

There's a DIY somewhere that show you how to hotwire the ipod via a connector to the leads that usually go to the tape deck.

So as long as the head unit is still capable of saying TAPE then you should still be able to go this direction.
            This is exactly what I was hoping to hear.

Future Mods: Bosch Micro-Edge Wiper Blades, Painter's Tape, Spark Plugs, Freezer for Nutty Buddys, Adam Nitti CD's

Comment

Make sure they are INPUTS and not OUTPUTS. More then likely they are outputs made to go to an amp. Most headunits will have these, but not necessarily an input.

Comment

Yea, I get the whole gist of inputs and outputs.
                I was just trying to find out if I could wire an ipod into a stock radio. I guess I can attempt this this weekend.

Comment

Late E30 head units were CD changer controllers.

If I were you, I would find that DIY on E30tech and make your own aux input.

I am sure that armed with a soldering iron and some wires I could pull it off in half an hour, so give yourself (a self-admitted noob) an afternoon.

Hope it works out well!
                  Luke

Closing SOON!
                  "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

I really appreciate the info man.
                    I can work my way around a soldering iron just fine, it comes with the job :)
                    I will let you know how it goes.

Comment

Here's the link for the DIY.

I did this, it works very well.
                      1973 Bavaria

Comment

Working...
                      X