Ghetto Fab iPod install

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ghetto Fab iPod install

well, i finally installed my iPod tonight. after months of waiting for some dicks to order an AUX cable for my Blaupunkt, i walked into a different shop yesterday and they had them in stock!!!!! and i thought these guys were the only dealers in town. well whatever.

i plugged it in yesterday, and was very inmpressed, thousands of songs on hand. i had dropped the AUX wire down behind the headunit, and made it appear as if by majic in the behind-ashtray area. was a kinda cool setup, but the iPod moved around when i cornered.

so tonight, i got creative (well, it didnt take much really. :oops: ) took apart the ashtray to realise that the iPod dock sits nicely wedged under the console. all i needed to do was trim the back of my ashtray, and trim some of the honeycomb away from the console. The iPod slots into the dock, drop the AUX line down further to under the ashtray, and voila, away you go. feels pretty sturdy. if you want to d oit, just have a look and it is really pretty self-explanatory.

sorry bout the pics, its night time.

as you can see, the pod sits a little low, obscuring the 'wheel'. this could be a bit of a prob if i need to use the menus, but i think il be mostly rolling with it on shuffle, and just skip tracks with the control buttons. I may or may not do a better install later, i will see how i go.

Oh, i also have a charger in the mail, so i will wire it up to the cig lighter for power when that comes.

chrz, j
    sigpicM42 Brigade ... Throwing craze in the 318

Now I'm glad I didn't go for the Blaupunkt. That thing is obnoxiously bright blue.

Nice choice with the iPod though. Apple's done really well with those.
    -Brandon
    '86 325es S50
    '12 VW GTI Autobahn DSG
    '03 540i M-Sport (sold)
    '08 Jeep SRT-8 (sold)

For sale:
    S50 TMS chip for Schricks

Comment

yeah, the Blau isnt that bright in person, it was the camera being a bit of a bastard.

see the reflection of the steering wheel above right, thats what its more like. sorta a dull royal blue glow. it kinda matches the A/C switch when its illuminated.

Comment

If you dont use the ash tray, you can fab an iPod dock in the place of the ash tray. You could leave the ash tray there, just gut it out and only use the top piece. Cut a hole in it just big enough for the ipod to sit in the dock.

I've always wanted to fab my own for my iPod but my Blau deck doesn't have an aux, well to my knowlege. (blaupunkt honolulu). But since then I've sold my 3g 10GB iPod because I needed the cash.

Camera didn't pick up the backlights of the buttons very well.

Comment

It looks like it might be a bit too bright at night. Or does the backlight turn off? Pardon my ignorance, as I don't own an iPod.
          Looks like a clean install though.
          Originally posted by Gruelius
          and i do not know what bugg brakes are.

Comment

looks great jake
            BEERTECH

Comment

Backlight turns off after however many seconds you tell it to.

97 Cosmos M3

Comment

were did u get your radio it matches perfectly!?

Comment

Originally posted by Schneider325
                  Edit: Sweet Jesus, I'm a moron.
                  Originally posted by Gruelius
                  and i do not know what bugg brakes are.

Comment

Re: Ghetto Fab iPod install

Originally posted by Streetspec_iS
                    well, i finally installed my iPod tonight. after months of waiting for some dicks to order an AUX cable for my Blaupunkt,
                    BEERTECH

Comment

Originally posted by Schneider325
                      Found mine on ebay I think. It's a discontinued item. Hard to find. If I ever upgrade my head unit, I'll put my blaupunkt on sale.

It matches perfectly, except the damn blue button.

Comment

The ciggerate adapter works really well... I have it in my car. You can just leave your iPod in there and it will charge.. It even charges when you listen to music... I like it. I think I might buy the wireless radio adapter so It's cordless though... that would be cool. :)

Comment

shit... took me a while to realize...
                          is that a right hand drive car?
                          freaked me out for a sec
                          nice job by the way
                          Dan

Comment

cheers guys.

my CD is a Blaupunkt Heidelberg CD51. im pretty sure it is discontinued now.

Comment

I have a kickass iPod install planned.

You'll see after it is done.

After I get a car.

And a new iPod.
                              My mountains are better than yours.

Comment

Working...
                              X