Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any tasteful door speaker installs out there?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any tasteful door speaker installs out there?

I'm considering a door speaker install - probably 6.5 coax, but perhaps some seperates. Has anyone pulled off a decent looking door instyall? This is a vert, so there's plenty of room for it. I wouldn't mind giving up my door pockets, but I want something that looks good.

I'm as concerned about form as I am function. I don't want a frint stage that sounds terrific, but looks like ass. Does anybody have any tasteful door speaker pictures?
    McCain's military draft: Are you willing to bet your life?

Is your 'vert made like a new body or old body?

I have never been in the doors of a 'vert, but late bodies can get a decent 6.5" up near the top of the door.

Luke

Closing SOON!
    "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

Door installs

I like mine.
      Attached Files
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by 240zs30 View Post
        I like mine.
        k. those are sick. who made them?

Comment

I did.:grin:

I have to redo the vinyl as it was my first attempt. But it sounds freakin awesome. One of the many reasons I drive the E30 so much.
          sigpic

Comment

I like mine.
            Kustom. :)

My vert is a late model, and I'm thinking about going up a little higher. The biggest problem is - all the affordable 6.5 speakers (like Polk) have grills that look like concentrated ass. I installed a pair of 6.5 Polk in my g/f's kick panels by mounting the speaker directly to the metal substructure and trimming the plastic covers so that the speaker would mount semi-flush.

It was giant PITA, but it turned out OK. I'm planning to remove the grills and paint them black eventually. If I had some old-school Polk black mesh grils, it would look 1000 times better.

I had a box full of them, but they got tossed a couple of years ago.

Check out the gap.
            Attached Files

Comment

I like mine.
              I have been in a few cars with pods like these. Amazed at how much that little amount of space is noticed. Too cramped for me.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by E30 Groupie View Post
                I have been in a few cars with pods like these. Amazed at how much that little amount of space is noticed. Too cramped for me.
                I like the concept, and I'm hoping that the vert doors have enough room to mount the speaker flush with the pocket. It would be less obtrusive that way.

Comment

I don't miss the space one bit. They are not in the way at all on mine and only stick out about a 1/2" more than the stock speaker pod. It was definitely worth it to get the lower frequencies that the 3-way is capable of playing.
                  The grills on the polks don't look bad but I would paint them and make them less obvious. Black FTW!.
                  sigpic

Comment

I know Jordan at one point had made up a door mounted pod. I don't think he ever finished them though. Maybe he'll post up pictures.

Comment

some nice universal mesh grills for those who need them.

I've got some gnarly huge 6.5" Adire Kodas mounted in my kick panels. I'm not sure why you would want to mount them in your doors?

If you just trace the original plastic kick panel onto MDF and use a router to shave the thickness down, you should be fine.

I did mine out of plywood and need to redo them, as they look like shit. But it was my first wood working project, so meh.

Point is, kicks have plenty of room. The magnets on the adires are about 3.125*4" or so.

-Addis

Doing something M50 related? -> http://www.addissimo.com
                      On Myspace? ->http://groups.myspace.com/r3vlimited
                      BF2142 SN = BillyGoose

Comment

Thanks for the link. I'll order some tomorrow.

Comment

To add to my previous post, see here:

Comment

Working...
                          X