Test Report: Sony CDX-71W

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Test Report: Sony CDX-71W

Alrighty, so I cannot seem to find a deck I actually like, so I boogies on down to WalMart and picked up a new Sony.

Basic features include 3 5V preouts, MP3/.WMA support, Subwoofer level control, remote...all the usual stuff, but is also motorized "tilting" face, all for $188. Front panel AUX input, too.

So here is the deal: I hate all decks, but I hate this one less than others.

One really nice feature is the ability for the display to "black out", with the exception of a tiny clock display. The display is all blue, so the clock remains blue...but you can change the illumination of the buttons to red, which is less of a clash with our E30 lighting than most. I will see if I can remember to post a pic of this thing at night. Very decent look for a new deck, not too flashy at all.

The tilt is very handy in an E30 too, visibility is nice.

The controls are decent, with most all controls operated through a pretty simple menu. No high pass filters, so you guys still using deck power will need to upgrade to an amp for your speakers.

The sound quality is pretty nice. Highs are fairly bright, having a nice clean sound at full output. The bass is the amazing part IMO, some of the cleanest bass I have had in my car. Midrange is very clear, having a nice "liquid" sound, not brassy of harsh at all. Far superior to the Kenwood or the Pioneer that have recently powered my system.

All in all, an excellent choice.

Luke

Closing SOON!
    "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

If it is better than the unit that was in there in the picnic.. I am impressed because I hadn't hear a stereo that loud and crisp ever...
    :: PNW Crew ::
    '87 325 4dr, '74 2002

Comment

The system sound much better with this deck than it did on that kenwood, dual 24 bit DACs or not.

The midrange and bass a far far cleaner, "bigger" too.

Now if I could only get the rear window to not move so much...without turning it down, of course. Oh yeah, I did finally get lockstrips in!

Thanks,
      Luke

Closing SOON!

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Comment

So since it's very close in terms of overall "cash out of pocket" -- what would you say is the better dollar/value rate?

Buying a used (hopefully well kept) used Alpine 9835 - or getting one of these as a new unit. Ebay seems to float used 9835's for right at $200 these days.

I hunted down a 9835 as it was the last of the real Bass Engine Pro units until this year with the 9887 - but we all know Alpine FM tuners suck, and I welcome constructive criticism if it helps my stereo.

I have a 9835 for my Landcruiser, and I just got (uninstalled still) a 9887 for my E30 - do you call the D/A processors in the Sony better than a Bass Engine Pro equipped Alpines' D/A setup?

It's not how you handle the good times, but the faith you keep in the bad that defines you.

Comment

wow of all the decks on the market you go to walmart and buy a sony.....

Comment

Originally posted by LINUS View Post
            So since it's very close in terms of overall "cash out of pocket" -- what would you say is the better dollar/value rate?

Buying a used (hopefully well kept) used Alpine 9835 - or getting one of these as a new unit. Ebay seems to float used 9835's for right at $200 these days.

I hunted down a 9835 as it was the last of the real Bass Engine Pro units until this year with the 9887 - but we all know Alpine FM tuners suck, and I welcome constructive criticism if it helps my stereo.

I have a 9835 for my Landcruiser, and I just got (uninstalled still) a 9887 for my E30 - do you call the D/A processors in the Sony better than a Bass Engine Pro equipped Alpines' D/A setup?
            Man, I just could not say. I absolutely hate the way Alpine midrange sounds so "nasal", that huge glossy glare at 3 to 4Khz...but the upper treble is usually so sweet it almost makes up for it. I gotta post some pics of this damn thing at night...it is actually decent!

Luke

Closing SOON!

Comment

Working...
            X