what did i do to my dash lights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

what did i do to my dash lights

swapped fuel gauge, when i replaced the cluster, no left side dash lights...took it back out, fiddled around, changed bulb, replaced. no dash lights at all now. seem to be regressing here. maybe if i take it out one more time and replace it the car will implode! ideas?

Originally posted by bfdbatt2 View Post
    swapped fuel gauge, when i replaced the cluster, no left side dash lights...took it back out, fiddled around, changed bulb, replaced. no dash lights at all now. seem to be regressing here. maybe if i take it out one more time and replace it the car will implode! ideas?
    Define "fiddled around".

Comment

initially, i tried to switch the wires going to the back of the bulb on the left side. took the whole thing back out, swapped it w/ the cluster from my 87. it works, but still doesnt answer my question as to what went wrong with the other. would like to figure it out so i can put it back.

Comment

initially, i tried to switch the wires going to the back of the bulb on the left side. took the whole thing back out, swapped it w/ the cluster from my 87. it works, but still doesnt answer my question as to what went wrong with the other. would like to figure it out so i can put it back.
        If the new one works, then the problem is specific to the old cluster. The cluster is illuminated by two bulbs that are attached to the main board within the cluster. Replace those two bulbs and you should be square. You'll know them when you see them as they attach right under orange plastic coverings,of which influence the color of light that is visually observed from the driver's perspective.

It's makes it easier if we can understand what you're saying and know the whole deal. Good luck. :)

Comment

thanks

i changed the bulb first, in fact i took the bulb out of the 90 and replaced it w/ the bulb from the 87. then i replaced the cluster in the 90, and none of the lights were working. so i took the cluster from the 87, with the bulb from the 90 that wasnt working to begin with, put it in the 90, and it works fine.....so it's not a bulb.

Comment

i changed the bulb first, in fact i took the bulb out of the 90 and replaced it w/ the bulb from the 87. then i replaced the cluster in the 90, and none of the lights were working. so i took the cluster from the 87, with the bulb from the 90 that wasnt working to begin with, put it in the 90, and it works fine.....so it's not a bulb.
            I got you now. It sounds like it is possibly the contact portion under the bulb connector on the main and or possibly the main board that is giving you this trouble. You may try sanding the connection point if there is any surface buildup on the connection point. I had to do this recently to the main board in my daily (lights only worked on speedo side of the cluster), to which I actually had to re-flow solder for full functionality to return. Worst comes to worst you may be out a few bucks or the time spent in tracking down a replacement main board for you '90. Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray McCooney View Post
              I got you now. It sounds like it is possibly the contact portion under the bulb connector on the main and or possibly the main board that is giving you this trouble. You may try sanding the connection point if there is any surface buildup on the connection point. I had to do this recently to the main board in my daily (lights only worked on speedo side of the cluster), to which I actually had to re-flow solder for full functionality to return. Worst comes to worst you may be out a few bucks or the time spent in tracking down a replacement main board for you '90. Good luck.

if all of your dash lights are out (not just the cluster) you need to replace your headlight switch. The rheostat (sp) acts as a fuse under certain conditions.

Comment

Working...
              X