amp question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

amp question

i just picked up a box with 2 mtx audio 10" subs for very cheap from a friend. i am wondering what kind of amp i will need to power these. they are mtx thunder 6000. i think they are 250 watt rms and 500 watt peak. will i need to get a 2channel amp that sends 250w to each channel, or is there something better to do? thanks for the help, im a real newb at this kind of stuff.

alex

btw: i have the t6104

I'd get a 2-channel that puts out at least 100 watts rms into 4ohms. Or find a two channel amp that is 1-ohm stable and parallel the two subs into the bridged amp.
    Originally posted by Gruelius
    and i do not know what bugg brakes are.

Comment

thats what i wanted to know, thanks!

alex

Comment

Try to get an amp that puts out less RMS power than what the RMS power handling of the subwoofers are.

This way you wont worry about blowing up your subs with too much power if the amps gains are not set up correctly.

Comment

a sub can usually handle more than its RMS for music and if you bought an amp that puts out less than the RMS handling of the sub you would have to turn the gain all the way up to get the sub goin and you would overwork your amp.

Comment

clipping an underpowered amp will damage the speaker alot more than giving it to much clean power... you can always turn down gains if its too much...

the clipping amp will give it a whacked out wave form with the peaks lopped off a speaker cant reproduce this hard clipping and it can lead to damage.. most speakers will be very distored long before the are over powered....

Clipping is 95% of the time the reason speakers get blown.. clipping, excessively heats the voice coil and they get burnt up, or (eg:glues melt) letting the Voice coils unravel.
            Any clipping is garrenteed to shorten your speakers life.. It is a "FACT" that a 10 watt amp could easily burn out even high rms speakers.

Amp clipping is so bad because when the amp is tring to do more than it can, it will just maintain it's max. Which is DC.. the dc heats the voice coil of the speaker without creating movement which cools the voice coil.

Comment

so basically is what ken said ok?

Comment

if niq_nak is ken then yes... getting an amp that will be pushed to its limits to push the subs = not a good idea... having more than enough is always a good thing.. its all about clean power

Comment

so what kind of numbers am i looking at here?

Comment

250 watts X2 channels RMS into 4 ohms

Don't buy any of those 'eBay Special' POS amps. The ones that claim 500x2 yet have a 25ampere fuse, LOL.
                    Originally posted by Gruelius
                    and i do not know what bugg brakes are.

Comment

spend your money on motor and suspension

http://www.westwerksauto.com

Comment

Working...
                      X