Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HVAC panel bulbs?

Quick question,
    My HVAC light bulb(s) burned out, and I was wondering A) How many there are to replace, and B) If it was something I could pick up at an auto parts store, or if I would have to order it from BMA. Thanks for the help!
    -Phil

there are 2 IIRC, at the lower part of the panel. I went to the dealer ship to get them. you should replace the obc light at the same time.
    sigpic

Comment

Thanks for the info, Aaron.

Just finished up, I can now see what I'm doing in the dark. :rofl:

For inquiring minds, or future searching references:
      This shows a general rundown of removing the HVAC panel. It's a pretty simple process:
      -Remove the radio.
      -Remove the switches above the radio. There are two screws at the top of the panel, just inside of the face, remove these.
      -There are two screws on the underside of the panel that you'll need to remove, below the temperature and fan controls. This is the biggest pain in the ass of the process. You can't see the screws, and they're almost an inch above the bottom of the panel. Just feel around for them.
      -Pop off the sliders and the temp/fan controls. Then remove the plate behind the sliders. It feels kind of fragile, and it is on the sides, but it's reinforced around the holes. Pull it off.
      -There are four screws behind the plate that attaches the HVAC controls to the console. Unscrew these.
      -Pull the panel out, disconnected whatever you may need to get enough slack to pull out the panel.....or remove it completely. My aftermarket radio was hardwired in, so I opted for just getting enough slack. Connections that I removed from the back of the console: OBC, and a plug on the back of the fan control. You can remove the A/C switch if you'd like too, but mine had plenty of slack in the wires.
      -Once you have the panel out, replace the bulbs. There's one above the sliders, just to the right of the temp control. The other is below and to the left of the fan control. It's tilted at an angle towards the steering wheel, so it took me a minute to find it at first. Sylvania Bulb 2721 works perfectly. As stated, you will need two. The Advance Auto near me was sold out, but a small auto parts place down the road had them.
      -Put it all back together!

Comment

Thanks for the info, I need to replace all the bulbs in both of the e30's.
        sigpic
        1990 E30 325ic (sold for more than I paid for it after 5 Years)
        1995 E30 325e (in progress)
        1987 E30 325is (totaled)
        1990 E30 325i
        1991 E30 318is M50 PWR
        1996 E36 328ic
        1997 Z3
        2006 F150 Super Crew 5.4L 6.5' bed The work horse (need something to drag all these old BMW's home for resurrection.)

Comment

Just did this and these directions are spot on. When you reassemble, start with the screws at the bottom of the panel. The metal clips on the panel that the screws thread into like to move out of place when snapping the panel back into position. It took me three attempts to get it right. After these screws, everything goes back together easily.
          1985 325e dd

Comment

Working...
          X