Crackling HU

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Crackling HU

Okay, right now I have the stock head unit in my e30 and I figured out the code from the po. Problem is that when I adjust the volume the speakers crackle and sometimes they cut out and back in. I know it's wiring related but how much of a nightmare is this to fix. Or should I just source another stock head unit from a yard/fleabay?
    Originally posted by csermonet47
    Vlad, you are handling this quite unprofessionally.

Also, you are a cock with tacky taste.

That is all.

It's not wiring, it's the actual volume knob. It has collected dust over the years and causes the poor connection. You can either take it apart and clean it up really well or you can add some wd-40 behind the knob every once in awhile to fix it temporarily.

Comment

Not WD40, CRC Electrical Contact Cleaner.

Buy some, if you own an E30 you will need some anyway.

Closing SOON!
      "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

Originally posted by StereoInstaller1 View Post
        Not WD40, CRC Electrical Contact Cleaner.
        Word. Most likely you have to take apart the deck do really get to the fader knob. Even then, you would have to tear apart the fader to get to contacts in there.

My old Alpine did this. A common problem.

Luke, have you had success just spraying it on the pot and hoping for the best?
        Originally posted by Matt-B
        hey does anyone know anyone who gets upset and makes electronics?

Comment

Originally posted by george graves View Post
          Luke, have you had success just spraying it on the pot and hoping for the best?
          I don't think you would call it "success", more like "dismal failure", but I only spray it externally if something will not come apart...since I am the person I am, I take it apart first and ask questions later.

Closing SOON!

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Comment

Wondered if anyone had further info on this exact same problem i'm having with a 90 325ic i recently put on the road, it has an aftermarket Sony in it which is a 2012 year player, model#CDX-GT57UP,.... Was crackling in the rear, i disconnected them and now the fronts do the same damn thing, if you turn the unit way up the speakers cut out completely, i have some cleaner and will try that but what if that fails, any other suggestions...
            Attached Files
            Now on my 26th BMW...

Comment

Nope, your install is wrong. I bet your stock amp is still wired in.

Closing SOON!

Comment

Thanks, I found the thread you created on eliminating the amps, i will take care of that this weekend........ can't wait to have some great sounds again.....
                Now on my 26th BMW...

Comment

Originally posted by tomwas View Post
                  Thanks, I found the thread you created on eliminating the amps, i will take care of that this weekend........ can't wait to have some great sounds again.....
                  well, don't expect miracles, but expect no funny noises either!

if you get stuck, feel free to PM me or post up.

Luke

Closing SOON!

Comment

Working...
                  X