Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Recommend an inexpensive radio with a 3.5mm input that plays MP3 CD's

I would like to replace the stock "Premium" radio on my 1988 E30 Cabrio

Would like something not too expensive, that works with my existing speakers, preferably has an Amber display to match and has a 3.5mm input so I can run my MP3 player thru it, and something that sounds decent.

I actually am not a big audiophile, and don't mind the stock "Premium" radio on my Cabrio, but would like to explore other options, and have the ability to play MP3's burned to CD

Thanks.
    sigpic
    1988 5 spd.Cabrio/Lachs Silber/Black Leather/123k/Dealer Serviced & Maintained by both PO's
    Clarion DXZ785USB HU, BBS Wheels, Leather e-brake handle & e-brake boot, Mtech 1 Wheel, Maplight Mirror, Performance chip, Rear Headrests.
    Previous E30: 1986 5 spd. 325es/Delphin Gray/Black Leather/191k

alpine 9874. Great radio, has input on the front and sounds great.

Comment

do u have an ipod? Or does your mp3 player use USB to connect to a computer? I just picked up this clarion: http://www.crutchfield.com/S-VgdGmgm...px?I=020DXZ775

It has a variable color display, u can change the RGB scale to a custom color, so I have it perfectly set to match the factory amber lighting. They can be found on sale for around 200-250 bucks. Sick unit, had it for a few weeks now and Im impressed. Plays cd(cd-r)/mp3/wma/ipod/USB

Comment

pretty sweet

so does it charge said usb device while its playing?
        Originally posted by ebelements
        Also, for those who don't know, negative camber is the greatest thing since sliced bread(panera). Even tire wear is for city busses and the elderly.

Comment

havent used the USB yet, I had a mp3 CD collection for my last head unit, so most of my cd collection is stored on two or three Mp3 CD's.

Im going to get a few pics later tonight probably to show the color variance.

Comment

I have a Sansa 2gb player, a Sansa 8 gb player and a Dell 20 gb player, so no Ipod.

The Sansa players are great and cost less then the iPod and have a built in FM tuner, adjustable EQ, inexpensive and easily replacable battery and a sd micro card slot to expand the capacity of the player.

It uses USB to connect to the computer.

But back to the discussion - the Clarion is out of stock at Crutchfield, so I'll try to find one elsewhere.

I'm looking for something that is plug and play, with just a harness adapter and not too expensive. Like under $200.00

Is anyone running either the Clarion or the Alpine with the "Premium" sound option and speakers in their E30 and if so, how much better does it sound then the old stock unit?

Thanks again.

Top down weather will be here soon and I would like to have a new head unit in soon, as well as spraying my front air dam and rear spoiler and installing them.
            sigpic
            1988 5 spd.Cabrio/Lachs Silber/Black Leather/123k/Dealer Serviced & Maintained by both PO's
            Clarion DXZ785USB HU, BBS Wheels, Leather e-brake handle & e-brake boot, Mtech 1 Wheel, Maplight Mirror, Performance chip, Rear Headrests.
            Previous E30: 1986 5 spd. 325es/Delphin Gray/Black Leather/191k

Comment

go to frys.com and check out the Blaupunkt selection. I'm personally dropping in the "London" for a cheap upgrade. I'd check out blaupunkt's website for the full specs on all the HU's.

Comment

Working...
              X